Paper patching for birds

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Brent

Paper patching for birds

Post by Brent »

Not a very good photo but Gus and I took down a couple of birds this weekend. We should have had 5 but for some shoddy shooting on my part. Two is good though. And Gus is a star at only 5 months and 2 days of age.

90 grs of some sort of black powder, I don't recall which, and about 1 3/8 oz of #5s wrapped in watercolor paper.

Beats workin'

Brent

Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
dm3280

Post by dm3280 »

Was this load in brass shells, plastic or paper? I have alway had a soft spot in me for the side by sides with hammers and using BP. I used to have a Winchester 12 ga lever action. Lots of fun to shoot but could only get paper or plastic hulls to work well. Brass was too heavy and the shotgun only had one extractor. The brass shells would come out about 2/3 of the way and then just drop off the extractor. I did manage to get a turkey with it.

By the way, what brand is that shotgun?
Brent

Post by Brent »

I was using plastic in this case. The gun is a William Cashmoor, 12 gauge.

I use brass with my 10 gauge, but my other guns (12, 16 and 20) use plastic hulls. They are good for 2-3 reloads. I kill a lot of pheasants this way and sometimes some waterfowl. I shot just terrible on two birds and then hit another really well and yet Gus and I couldn't find it. And that was a load of Bismuth #2s no less.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
dalejw

Post by dalejw »

That is way--way cool Brent I am not to much of a bird hunter but that allmost makes me want to pick up a shotgun. Blackpowder of course.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Dale, give it a try. Works in any gun, except maybe a gas operated semi-auto. You don't really loose anything performance-wise. You might miss a second shot because of the smoke but that turns out to be darn rare in the field. And you, for sure, will have a hell of a lot of fun.

Brent
dalejw

Post by dalejw »

I may have to do that, might not be for awhile tho i dont own a shotgun but maybe someday. I tell you what , that dog sure has it turned on tho ears forward and that look in his eye, ya he has it turned on.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Neat, good looking pup too. I know what you mean about finding down birds. I put 3 on the ground in recent hunts and my buddies young wirehair didn't find them :cry: :cry: I was using an old rebuilt .410 O/U savage, but with regular factory ammo. :roll: I usually use a ML but I've been playing with the .410. :lol:
Gus
Brent

Post by Brent »

That pup is a joy to hunt with. I can't believe how well he did today. We saw an easy 30 birds. Maybe more. He stayed nice and tight and worked them out of stuff so thick and tall, that I can't see him if he is more than 20 ft away.

If I had shot better, I would not have clipped two birds that came down soft and surely ran for the cattails. Never could get on their trail though.

The other, I crushed while putting the sneak on a gang of Giant Canadas. I was sure he was stoned, but couldn't find him even after I went back and got Gus. I spent over an hour looking for that bird because I was sure he was there. Went back and checked today too. No luck.

Brent
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

I, too, favor shotguns with hammers. Just seem more genuine.
Well, nobody (or dog) is perfect and hindsight beats foresight but aids next fight. You did much more than the average guy would to recover the birds. Still, you probably don't feel so good but just think of how the foxes and skunks will enjoy the meals you gave them. 8)

I might even have a pet skunk myself out back - something keeps grabbing the snaks I put out after dark. And, we have smelled a skunk. Anyone know if skunks like salted Brazil nuts?
Brent

Post by Brent »

Skunks like everything, so do possums and coons. Not to mention a handful of rodents.

Brent
Ted Kramer

Post by Ted Kramer »

That's a great picture Brent. Gus looks like an intelligent dog, I'll bet he's fun to work with. Hard to find a better friend than a good dog-they're loyal to the end. Oh, nice scattergun and birds too, but Gus makes the pic great.

I was picking some corn yesterday and several roosters were hanging out near where the field ends at some tall canary grass. I'll have to get some bp/shot shells loaded for my '97 and get out there with Monte, my black Lab.

Question on the paper wrap; Did you make sort of a paper shot cup with a bottom or simply a paper tube open at both ends? Star crimp or over shot wad and roll crimp?

Thanks for the motivation.

Ted
Brent

Post by Brent »

Ted,
The paper was simply a small piece that was coiled once around the inside of the case above the fiber shot wad. So it was a tube effectively.

Sometimes I roll crimp shells, sometimes I star crimp them. It doesn't much matter, but when I am loading a handful, like a box or two, I'll roll crimp. When I am going to load 10 boxes or something like that, I'll use my old Pacific progressive reloader and star crimp the shells.

Get after'em!

Brent
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Well, the Brazil nuts disappeared mighty quick - as did the turkey neck bones. The tortilla was there at 7am so figured it was rejected but at 8 am not a sign of it. That was a surprise. Different days, of course. I've spotted one footprint like a cats and one cloven hoof. However, something has been sort of digging where I pour cooking grease but not too seriously. Also, rooting or scratching some or a bit in an old rotting trunk sawn even with the ground. We prefer to have a pet skunk over other options.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Could be anything. But possums rate highest in my opinion- among other things, they don't carry rabies and they don't stink (too much).
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Possums don't look good when they are squashed on the road and besides, they don't get your attention that they might be present. Anyway, my grandmother used to enjoy feeding a mother skunk and her babies and so we have a family tradition of sorts. So, still hoping skunk.