Hunting stories For Kelley O

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Hunting stories For Kelley O

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Kelley wanted a hunting story with my kids.

We only got to spend 2 days in the field with Kaycee and her hubby Dan. but had a blast least I did !

Kaycee the first morning I put her on the edge of Lance Creek in some really tall old clover plots. I went around and up creek so she could push though the area she had only a Doe Whitetail permit.

50 yards into the stuff about 20 mins after I had dropped her she almost stepped on monsoiur Monster White Tail I had been looking for she about had a heart attack, he came out ahead of me at Mach 3 and 300 yards above me I shot once and he attained warp 5 in about 3 steps. So much for that!

3 hours later she was still swearing like a sailor about her Close encounter! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Next morning her and I and her hubby Dan (first time Hunter) Snuck up on 3 nice little bucks beded on a island in Lance Creek. I slid off one side of the wheeler and Kaycee the other I Decided to let son in-law take one as none of them were anything I wanted. Kayce had bolted a round in case a doe would appear, we both finally looked over at her hubby he was standing there slack jawed watching his wife and father in-law, Needless to say he did not get a shot the bucks took off.

I about died laughing, he was so surprised :shock: that his wife was handling that rifle he said like she was some kind of sniper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

She dressed him down told him to get with the program them white tails were not going to hang around waiting for a engraved invitation.

He has lots to learn!!! :lol: :lol:

Next year!

Bryan Can tell a good one about me and a whitetail buck and my 4 wheeler and Vern in Lance Creek from Last year.

his Verson is much funnier then mine?

Dast Lunger
KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

I can see Kaycee swearing :lol: and also can see Kaycee telling her husbby to get with it. :wink:

Thanks,

Kelley O.
Kenny Wasserburger

I gave Kaycee my old Model 70 Fwt Winchester Serial #23 in 6.5x55 Swedish this year for a hunting rifle, Her Mom had got it for me as a Xmass gift in 1984 the year Kaycee was Born. Kaycee Killed her first buck with this rifle when she was 14 at about 125 yards perfect heart lung shot.

I felt it was fitting that she have it now it's her Rifle.

And she does handle it very well. :wink:

KW
The Lunger
Last edited by Kenny Wasserburger on Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

I thinks that cool, giving Kaycee that rifle. Giving away something to relitives or friends I feel should be done while alive, that way you'll know it was appreaciated and will have more value after your gone.

Kelley O.
Robert Rogers

Post by Robert Rogers »

Kenny , sounds like the kid had good raising , and makes an old Dad proud. And that Model 70 , serial # 23 , all I can say is WOW , what a prize.
Another Dad with three daughters , Robert :D
"Never look back, something might be gaining on ye"
Kenny Wasserburger

Robert,

2 years after I had got that rifle a Rep from the Wholesaler showed up at the local gun shop wanted to know If I would be interested in selling that rifle,

At that time it already had become quite Valuable as it was the first year run of the 6.5X55 in a Featherweight for the US market.

I told him no I was hunting with it. He about Died. Thought It had been bought for a collector investment.

LOL

The Lunger
KW

Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Kenny, my favorite smokeless deer rifle is a Model 70 FW I bought 1997-98. Had used a model 700 for decades but when Winchester came back out in the late 90's with the pre-64 type claw extractor I had to have one. It is in 280 Remington caliber and deer go down like struck by lightning with that gun. I discovered if I was making a long shot in a cutover one better make some mental notes of some landmarks near the deer because there was no running after the shot-the deer was put down instantly and you better know where he was at the shot.I saw somewhere several years ago where some gun writers got together and named the Model 70 as either the best bolt gun or the best hunting gun generally(I can't remember which) during the last century.
Keith Lay
pete

Post by pete »

I had a model 70 Featherweight in .280 Rem. too. I loved it but it was stolen. :x It started out as a 7 mm Mauser and I had it rechambered. Great rifle cartidge combo. If I ever get into smokeless rifles again that's what I'll want.
bobw

Post by bobw »

[quote="Kenny Wasserburger"]Robert,

2 years after I had got that rifle a Rep from the Wholesaler showed up at the local gun shop wanted to know If I would be interested in selling that rifle,

At that time it already had become quite Valuable as it was the first year run of the 6.5X55 in a Featherweight for the US market.

I told him no I was hunting with it. He about Died. Thought It had been bought for a collector investment.

LOL

The Lunger KW (quote)

I have one of those push feed Featherweights in 6.5x55 also , the stock is a beauty, fiddleback thru the butt with the grain straightening thru the wrist and forend. Good shooter, used both the 120 speer and 129 Hornady bullets in built handloads to use on deer. I'd read that they were offered, but only ever saw the one I have, sure as heck don't see one these days advertised for sale either. i remember you posting previously that it was what you used for deer hunting. You got any idea how many they put out? how the serial numbers break down? Mine is G19984xx what else can you tell me about them? bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yes, I agree, everything in bolt guns is measured by the pre-64 Model 70 Winchester.
I have a friend who has hired me to cut off and crown, I think six last count, of his pre-64s to 22 inches. It about makes me cry every time he wants to do that to one of his guns. I have a hard time throwing away that barrel stub with the beautiful classic front sight on it.
The .280 is a great cartridge. I have a .284 Win on a short Ruger action for a sheep rifle that has identical ballistics and shoots the same bullet diameter and weights. It'll do it in a short action too if you extend the magazine a bit so you can use the whole case capacity. I get an even 3000 fps for a 140 grain Nosler partition.
The new controlled feed Winchester classics are much tighter actions than are the pre-64s and have an anti-bind cut on the lower side of one locking lug that slides along a corresponding rail in the receiver. This little feature allows the new controlled feed guns to have a much tighter bolt tolerance than did the pre 64s, without binding.
I have another friend with a .280 pre-64 stocked by Dale Goins and what a treasure that gun is!
The Pre-64s are without peer in the bolt action sporting rifle world. About the only thing I wished were different about them is the coned breech. I think they should have went with the Mauser design there for the added case head support personally. MD
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Kenny, That 6.5 x 55 sounds real sweet. My favorite rifle is my mod 71 Win .348. It came out of the factory in January of 1940. How about that, I came out of the "factory" in January of 1940. That gun will die with me also.
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Kenny,

When I bought my eldest daughter her first big game rifle, it was a Winchester Featherweight Model 70 in .270 Win. I loaded 130 grn Speer bullets down to about 2700 fps. It would hold at 2" at 200 yards.

As she got older and more comfortable with the rifle, the load changed to 130 grn. partitions at 3000 fps. After all these years it still holds at 2" at 200 yards.

She has rolled numerous hogs and a couple of deer with it. There is nothing like hunting with your kids.

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Brent

Post by Brent »

Trigger Dr wrote:Kenny, That 6.5 x 55 sounds real sweet. My favorite rifle is my mod 71 Win .348. It came out of the factory in January of 1940. How about that, I came out of the "factory" in January of 1940. That gun will die with me also.
Why does the gun need to die?
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Ask Kelley :lol:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Brent

Post by Brent »

Trigger Dr wrote:Ask Kelley :lol:
Why? I'm sure he will tell me anyway.

I'd like a good '71 Winchester. I would hate to see it have to die, just because you do. I'm sure others out there might enjoy it after you have returned to dust.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"