30-40 Krag

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Timberlake

30-40 Krag

Post by Timberlake »

I had recently read, or someone told me that the 30-40 Krag was illegal to use in Colorado on elk. Tell me it ain't so!

TL
2nd GUSA
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
pete

Post by pete »

It ain't so. Unless you're wanting to use it during the ml. season. :shock: :) .
Seriously the reg. states minimum caliber as 24 cal (6mm). Bullets must be an expanding type, weigh a minimum of 85 gr. for elk and have an impact energy of 1,000 foot pounds at 100 yds. as rated by manufacturer .
Your 30-40 is fine.

The thing that I've wondered about is the handgun requirement which is 24 cal. and 550 ft. lbs. at 50 yds.
Well what if somebody wants to use a "pistol" cartridge in a rifle, say a 45 Colt or 44-40 in a lever rifle. It might meet the minimum for a pistol but not a rifle? :?
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Thanks Pete. I must have had a bad dream or some such thing. Nightmare we'd call it. Merry Christmas.

TL
2nd GUSA
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
bobw

Post by bobw »

Hmm George, you wanting to keep in good company or something? I do believe IIRC that the B &C record Rocky Mtn elk for many years was a bull killed by John Plute in the Dark Canyon country of the San Juans in 1899 with a 30-40 Krag. that for many years was not measured or recognised as the record as it resided in a hotel then a sptg store in Crested Butte Colo. Pete probably knows more about this? bobw GUSA#9 IIRC
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Hey Bobw,

Good company works for me. My (twice owned)Krag carbine with a 200 gr jacketed bullet may buck a bit but, not so you'd notice and never more than once. Elk have been killed by it and never found a bullet. Passed plumb through.

Thankfully, some things never change.

TL
2nd GUSA

Thoreau
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well TL, take good care of it as those Krags keep going up in value. Ever time I find one for sale my hopes start to rise until I look thru the barrel,most of them seem awful tired and not well cared for. Should have bought one of those reproduction win 95's a few years back I guess. bobw GUSA#9
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Yeah, Bob, I know what you mean about them barrels. Most of the Krags I see now are untouched, as far as bubba-ized, but are cemetery, or parade rifles. Barrels are gone. My carbine is a blemish free, arsenal barrel. Even the rough ones go for too much. I won't even print the figures I see.

Tl
2nd GUSA

Thoreau
pete

Post by pete »

Timberlake;
You're welcome and Merry Christmas to you too.
Hi bob;
The area where the Plute bull was taken is north of the San Juans. I saw that bull a long time ago at a Sportmans expo in Denver. It's big to say the least.
I haven't hunted elk for some time, 15 years to be exact. I'm more of a deer and antelope guy but I do have 15 preference points for elk though so maybe sometime. I'll be able to get a good license.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have my grandfathers Krag rifle that is original except for a shortening of the forearm.
The barrel has strong rifling but some minor pitting from years of standing in the farm house corner.
Last I shot it was ten years ago and it would hold two minutes at 100 yards with the open sights.
Long barrel on them though, something like 29 inches if memory serves me correctly.
Mine has a tiny little flip up peep sight attached to the rear open. MD
C.L. Hiatt II

Post by C.L. Hiatt II »

bobw wrote:Hmm George, you wanting to keep in good company or something? I do believe IIRC that the B &C record Rocky Mtn elk for many years was a bull killed by John Plute in the Dark Canyon country of the San Juans in 1899 with a 30-40 Krag. that for many years was not measured or recognised as the record as it resided in a hotel then a sptg store in Crested Butte Colo. Pete probably knows more about this? bobw GUSA#9 IIRC
The Idaho state record elk was also killed with a 30-40. At least that record stood until a few years ago when it got (barely) beaten out by a loudnboomer.
Guess I'm lucky, my sporterized Krag rifle (possible Bannerman has original military sight & barrel but carbine stock) & my Krag carbine Sporter, nice job by someone with Fagen stock both have pretty fair rifling. Original M95 win is a little rough but again with old eyes & ladder type barrel sights it will hold well under minute of elk or moose out to 300 or so.
I believe that the immortal Jeff Cooper's comment about Krags & the 30-40 was something like "that 30-40 hits hard".
"It is better to die a free man, weapon in hand, than to live life as a coward and a slave"