ANOTHER FRAUD

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Post by bobw »

Steve you are right on the money checked it out as you suggested. bobw
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

We had a fella here in Alaska about 20 years ago that was always getting big Dall Sheep with a bow and he was found out to be a poacher among other things.
He had a much darker side as well. He would pick up women at a bar get em drunk or drugged, load them up in his Super Cub and fly out to some remote spot, turn them loose and tell them to run for their life. He would track them down and kill them for sport.
This guy had a wife and kids who attended a church I was with at the time. They had no clue and were fine people that were devastated by the macabre discovery.
It is amazing how some humans can compartmentalize an evil side of their nature and coexist with a normal personality in the same body. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

"It is amazing how some humans can compartmentalize an evil side of their nature and coexist with a normal personality in the same body. MD".

I know what you mean as regards these extreme cases, but we all do this to some degree. We even learn to do it - like smile at the boss when we want punch him in the nose. Maybe it's better we do show the better side most times :wink:

However, that "evil" still lurks in us; the worse is when we don't even recognize that it is part of us - then it is truly a hidden danger. Anyway, it is quite normally human to have some pretty wierd thoughts which border on the uncivil, illegal, disgusting and, worse of all, sinful. What we do with ourselves is what matters and sometimes we need help to deal with extreme thoughts or emotions.

Anyway, I hadn't heard of the case you mention, but do believe that there was a short story of a similiar sort of thing as regards hunting humans. So, someone thought of it before someone did it :shock:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I heard someone once say, and it may have been my dad, that " A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts" and since pop had been on both sides of the coin I think he was speaking the truth from experience.
He was a great guy and I miss him! :( :D
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

" A drunk mans words are a sober mans thoughts" - Very good saying - took me a minute to figure it out! :o

Still, drinking isn't a sin in itself; just what you do with it and how you act. St. Paul said to take a nip now and then :D Hey, Jesus drank wine at the Last Supper - though some claim it was grape juice :roll: Just don't take too many, get too intelligent :shock:, or get too mean :evil:
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

buffalocannon wrote:Bob, A friend told me about him, but he says all you need do is "google" his name. My friend said that when B&C wanted to have a look at all his racks, he voluntarily removed them from the list. I brought him up because at one time, he was sort of a "hero" of mine, although I later became skeptical. I remember carefully reading his book and closely following some of his hunting practices, as outlined in the book. Seems silly now.
I don't think Darner pulled them "voluntarily".

http://www.hunts.net/darner.html

L
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

A lot of these guys cross the line for profit. Who wants to sign up for a hunting service when they haven't killed or guided for anything big? What is the first thing that people look at when they are booking a hunt: What size animals have you killed? Who wants to buy a book from somebody who has only killed piss-ants? Put a bunch of 2 points on the wall of that barn, who would buy the book?

Darner isn't the only one who made a "business" out of poaching. It has happended more recently to other well known guides/outfitters, some with TV shows, etc.

Those few who do this really gives a bad name to hunters in general, and specifically, other outfitters and guides.

I have a few heads that are on my walls. I am proud of every one of them; some were fairly easy and some were very hard to harvest. When I look at them, I relive each hunt and savor those memories. To me, that is what really makes them a trophy in my mind. Not neccessarily the size of the head, but the actual experience of bagging them.

The moments I relive in my mind might be right at the break of the shot, or on the stalk itself, being so cold I couldn't stop shivering even with a fire lit I lit on the mountain, or maybe my now deceased father insisting on helping me drag a deer in the snow at 7500' with his heart condition, (and me thinking I was going to have to pack both of them out!) or perhaps having a couple of beverages around the campfire with friends or family after the hunt was over.

That is what I see when I look at the heads, hides, or skulls of things that I have been lucky enough to harvest. Those cheating poachers will always know they did not take the game fairly.

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Manny:

You nailed it.

With these guys it's about TWO things: Money and Ego...

I quit hunting elk about 1984 for a couple of years when I realized I was driven to feed my reputation as a big bull killer. These days I hunt for the hunt and the meat. Not into the big antler thing anymore. Yes, I still enjoy seeing a big rack but it's not what it's about anymore for me.

L
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well no more successful than I have been over the last few years I think I should add vegetarian to my name as in "old Indian word for bad hunter".
Michael "vegetarian" Wayne De Land, heap big broccoli slayer, or some such.
I have made up my mind to break this bad streak next year. Still though, I have floated through some beautiful country and will eventually strike it rich with some game.
Funny how I seem to see all kinds of critters on my summer float trips! Ah well, it's all good but I just ate the last of my venison! MD :lol: :lol:
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Ifin I was you Ida get a taste for Grizzly and then nail one of those in the city limits or thereabouts. Ought to make for a year's eating for a family of 12! :P Plus, a right good amount of bullet lube. :idea:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah it figures, what I can't or have no desire to shoot I'm over run with. Plenty of moose here in town as well, but safe as can be by law. MD
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Well, I was justa kiddin. Does seem funny though that moose can wander freely around a town. It's not like they are cute bunny rabbits. On the other hand, iffin I had a nice brick house with an enclosed porch lookin on the creek, suppose it would be nice to watch them pass by and such. Still, dangerous animals oughten not to be near where people live, esp. if kids are in the neighborhood.

I saw a picture of a Griz looking at the school children thru a fence and apparently it was against the law to shoot the Griz. Believe this was in Montana and maybe on an Indian Res. Now, if he/she was the last griz alive, maybe that would be okay. I suspect a sworn in trooper could dispatch one if it looked like there was any aggressive tendency shown by the bear but who knows?