ANOTHER FRAUD

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

buffalocannon

ANOTHER FRAUD

Post by buffalocannon »

Back in the late '70s and early '80s, a partner and I hunted mule deer pretty heavily in Northern Arizona. I finally got a pretty nice one and my partner got two or three pretty nice ones. Mine sits over my fireplace. My partner went on to get several trophy mule deer and a trophy lion, once he didn't have me along with him. Back then, I read a hunting book by Kirt Darner. I remember that my partner and I each purchased a copy and read it cover to cover. I remember seeing a picture of Darner on the back of the book in front of a barn with all of his trophies tacked to it. I remember commenting to my partner that no one, I don't care who it is, can shoot that many trophy mule deer in a lifetime. I guess I was right. I see where Darner of Colorado and New Mexico has been prosecuted and convicted, fined and imprisoned for a lifetime of poaching violations and fraudulent hunting. He was evidently even stealing heads from taxidermists and tranquilizing animals to move them into other hunting areas, among other things. Another fraud, another old hero shot down in flames. Sometimes it's hard not to become cynical in this life.
Wagonmaker

Post by Wagonmaker »

Apparently, you can... it's just that you have to cut some corners.
Firearms technology was perfected in the 1870's, and it's been a slow downhill slide ever the advent of smokeless powder.
RMulhern

Cynical?

Post by RMulhern »

I think maybe we're the only ones out here that might be trustworthy.....but I ain't so sure bout you!! :lol: :lol:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Handlining for trout in a hatchery- ain't that the berries! :oops: Some guys always got to be the best or have the best or know the best. :roll: Just shows one aspect of human nature.
Was just trying to remember when I last did something like this. Probably was at Christmas when I put up one more decoration just to trump the neighbor across the way. Or, maybe it was when I bought a pre-paid cell phone two days ago and was proud to point out to the clerk that it was suppose to be $10 on sale, not $15 as marked. I felt good about that, proved I was a better shopper:oops:
Or, even more to the point, so to say, when I (to myself)compared my alloy to that of a couple of guys that claim to have the "Holy Grail" of bump up. Ain't life a howl!!! So....Let him who be without sin to be He who casts the first stone... So it is written :o :P
pete

Post by pete »

buffalocannon;
I had the Darner book too. In fact a few days ago I was cleaning out a bunch of books trying to decide what to keep and what not to keep when this book came up and I looked at it remembering getting it back in the 80's. I thought back then how unlikely it was that a guy could get that many big ones but gave him the benefit of the doubt and I looked at that book alot then. But the other day I put the book in the to go pile.
The guy ended up being a real low life and you're right it is hard to not be cynical anymore. That's too bad.
On the other hand I guess the accomplishments of us average Joes who do it legally and without a bunch of connections seems ok compared to the cheaters and connected.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Rick, You're never going to let me up after that stunt I pulled on you, are you?! Best wishes. P.S. I don't blame you!
13Echo

Post by 13Echo »

Don't give up on the book. It should make an excellent target. It deserves to be a target.

Jerry Liles
Jerry
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

buffalocannon wrote:Rick, You're never going to let me up after that stunt I pulled on you, are you?! Best wishes. P.S. I don't blame you!
BC

All in good fun my friend...all in good fun!! :lol: :lol:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
pete

Post by pete »

13Echo;
That's a great idea, unfortunately I already donated the books.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

I remember that guy. Ironically I was thinking about him several days ago but couldn't remember his name. I never bought one of his books but do remember seeing an article or two about him in the outdoor publications like Outdoor Life or Sports Afield. Someone may want to help me out but I also think I remember he ran some sort of guide services for mulies too-seems like he ran a long running ad in the back of those type magazines. It did seem quirky that one guy could get all those enormous deer on a regular basis. The male ego can be a strange thing sometimes.
Keith Lay
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Did you donate them to the Boone and Crockett Club library?:lol:
pete

Post by pete »

Bill;
Yea, that's a good one. :) No I took them to Goodwill.

Tas;
I read in the newspaper that he did have a guide service in New Mexico and Colorado. Your last sentence is accurate. Well the others are good too but you know what I mean. :)
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Darner was known to break in to taxidermy business and steel big mulie racks... Another poacher/author was Calvin Coziah. Don't believe any of his stories either.

As an old warden once told me, if it sounds like B.S. it's probably B.S.

L
bobw

Post by bobw »

BC do you have a link to a news story where I guy can read "all about it" on the Darner deal? bobw
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Bob, A friend told me about him, but he says all you need do is "google" his name. My friend said that when B&C wanted to have a look at all his racks, he voluntarily removed them from the list. I brought him up because at one time, he was sort of a "hero" of mine, although I later became skeptical. I remember carefully reading his book and closely following some of his hunting practices, as outlined in the book. Seems silly now.