Hunting the American bison

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

grumpy old man

Hunting the American bison

Post by grumpy old man »

The 8th of Febuary Iwill harvest a 5 &1\2 year old bull with my 45-90. 535 gr. Paul Jones Credmore , 30-1. Private herd Jewell County, Kansas on open range. geter-done! :) The Bull's name is Geronamo.
Rooster57

Post by Rooster57 »

Are those old bulls tough as shoe leather? I'd think a nice young cow named Pocahontas would be tastier! :lol:
rwsr50

Post by rwsr50 »

Maybe you could get Geranimo to help you with Geronamo.

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt2 ... alissphere
rwsr50

Post by rwsr50 »

rwsr50 wrote:Maybe you could get Geranimo to help you with Geronamo.

http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt2 ... alissphere
And if he's not available, give me a call. I'm jealous, you lucky dog!
wyattjos

Post by wyattjos »

Strange...

I never name my food.... :roll:

:D
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

he ought to be a big old feller , you gonna have him mounted , probably need to shore up the wall where you hang him if you do .. good luck and enjoy...Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

wyattjos wrote:Strange...

I never name my food.... :roll:

:D
I name my food....Steak, Potatoes, Roast, etc. :D
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
grumpy old man

Post by grumpy old man »

yes, I know a two year old cow is a lot beter eating becaus I harvested one two years ago, very good eating. However this is the only thing the owner will let me shot.

ye
rwsr50

Post by rwsr50 »

How cool would it be to have a mounted buffalo head hanging over your Sharps? I'd hate to see the "Taxidermy Man's" bill for one of those though. And how unfair is that??? You've already shot a buffalo! How's about us poor guys that never got to shoot one yet?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

You'll need a room added onto your house to display the head mount! :lol:
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

True story....
While on an Elk and Mulie hunt in Western Colorado, we were having a few drinks and telling lies one evening. There were several construction workers from Florida on their first "big" game hunt. One kept bragging on how he was going to get the Elk of all Elks so he could hang the "horns". One of his buddies ask him if he thought how he would get it in his 'trailer'..... :lol: .............Jim
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I have head mounts of a goat and Dall Ram I took years ago and they both hang on the same wall over the freezer. I have a small ranch style house and it was a challenge to find a place to hang them where they wouldn't be offensive to some folks that think your a nut case to have a trophy on the wall.
A moose, brown bear or Bison head mount would be out of the question for me. MD
bobw

Post by bobw »

[quote="mdeland"]I have head mounts of a goat and Dall Ram I took years ago and they both hang on the same wall over the freezer. I have a small ranch style house and it was a challenge to find a place to hang them where they wouldn't be offensive to some folks that think your a nut case to have a trophy on the wall.
A moose, brown bear or Bison head mount would be out of the question for me. MD[/quote)

Well Mike, you need some new friends first. Who don't think that a man that hunts is a nut case. You hang around people like that who are offended by your hunting memoirs you might endup a nut case yourself. PS cause I'm a regular guy who hangs his horns where I want to, I am not even gonna send you a bill for the advice you needed. bobw
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

bobw - believe md was referring to the women folks :lol: :lol: Not too many of the gentle kind like a moose head over the dishwasher like you got. :idea:
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks for the advise Bob. I feel the same and Bill has it right about lady friends of my wife and I that occasionally have been bugged by my mounts.
It is a rarity but has happened on occasion in the past.
My kids sure have made use of my bear tooth necklace over the years for various events. I would like to make a couple more of them along with some bear claw ones.
They take up little room and are particularly striking conversation pieces! MD