It ain't over.......

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

It ain't over.......

Post by RMulhern »

till the Fat Lady sings....and she sung this morning! Grandson Britton has been hunting since early Nov 2009 but hasn't seen a decent buck until this morning. Hunting with his Dad down south of home a ways....Britt took this nice 8 pt. with one shot from around 150 yards. I told him earlier that he was being taught a lesson in PATIENCE......and it seems that it has paid off!

There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

T'aint fair I tell ya'. Been huntin' fer' nearly 40 yrs and have yet to drop one like that! Good job for the youngster!
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Me too! Never had beginners luck like that! Sometimes life just isn't fair :lol: And, at 150 yds! Wow :o
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Good gawd almighty! And I thought the only honey hole you guys knew about was in Iowa. Tell that youngun congrats for me!
Keith Lay
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Tasmanian Rebel wrote:Good gawd almighty! And I thought the only honey hole you guys knew about was in Iowa. Tell that youngun congrats for me!
Keith Lay
Keith

Not quite in Iowa; we're about 80 miles south of the Iowa border near a place called Sumner, Missouri...Goose Capitol of the World! I might also add that the places we hunt are 'free ranging'.....no pens/fences, etc.! I'd just as soon drive down the road and shoot someone's moo cow....as to hunt in that manner. I'll tell the 'youngster' of your congrats!! It'll be a few nice days in February so plan on coming over so you can get a head start on the guys going to Phoenix!!
:lol: :wink:
Tasmanian Rebel

Thanks for the invite Rick-hope to be making the trip again over to your place in a few weeks. I got all my 45-90 brass segregated earlier tonight to start the prep for Phoenix. I'm breaking in a new lot of 3F so it may take a bit of tweaking to get it to shoot with the stuff I shot last year. May want to bring a new 40-65 to try on the 800 yd target also as I may want to campaign it for the Q in June too if it holds up on the 800 yd target as well as it's been doing at the shorter ranges. Don't know why I said Iowa when I mean't Missouri-damn oldtimers must be taking effect!
Keith Lay
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Tasmanian Rebel wrote:Thanks for the invite Rick-hope to be making the trip again over to your place in a few weeks. I got all my 45-90 brass segregated earlier tonight to start the prep for Phoenix. I'm breaking in a new lot of 3F so it may take a bit of tweaking to get it to shoot with the stuff I shot last year. May want to bring a new 40-65 to try on the 800 yd target also as I may want to campaign it for the Q in June too if it holds up on the 800 yd target as well as it's been doing at the shorter ranges. Don't know why I said Iowa when I mean't Missouri-damn oldtimers must be taking effect!
Keith Lay
Keith

" May want to bring a new 40-65 to try on the 800 yd target also as I may want to campaign it for the Q in June"

Pardon me Doc....but me thinks by this action you're contemplating that you're 'fixin to poop in your pants' by shooting this 'parlor gun' in those Montana winds....that you know can damn nigh blow ya britches off!! You best stick with that .45/90 you shot here last year because someone is gonna have to do some awful hard holdin to beat that rifle!!
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

John Boy wrote:Rick, Dad going to be adding a 'Son's Trophy Room' to the house?
More Congratulations are in order. They are some nice racks
PS: Grand Pop better get busy looking for the Big One in the deep wood lot! :lol:
John Boy

Frankly....I'd rather hunt with/coach these grandkids than shoot one myself!! I've taken a few since 1950!! :lol: :lol:
Tasmanian Rebel

Rick, my 45-90 is a #3 Shiloh with an ebony pistolgrip that was built several years ago as a Creedmoor/prone rifle. It has an extra heavy bull barrel and weighs 14 1/2 lbs. It is a dream off the sticks, comes straight back on the sticks, no bounce with recoil. The thing that makes it do so well on the sticks hinders it when I shoot it offhand as it is very muzzle-heavy and doesn't hold well for me offhand. I still could use it at Quigley and will take it probably as backup gun. The 40-65 has been doing well this fall and winter in practice with wind and the one silhouette match it was shot in December. If it shoots at 800 yds it will shoot at Quigley. Hopefully we'll have some high winds at your place to give it one of those torture tests again of sorts. I'm putting 70 gr of 1 1/2 behind a 412 gr Money bullet and it is really cracking-sounds like a highpower gun going downrange. BTW, I think you put your mark on that grandyoungun-has Rick Mulhern written all over him!(bless his heart)
Keith Lay
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Excellent job!!!! Are you going to have thead or rack mounted? How much did that buck weigh????
Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

Top Dog wrote:Excellent job!!!! Are you going to have thead or rack mounted? How much did that buck weigh????
Top Dog
Top Dog

Will just mount the rack on a board; he's got enuff shoulder mounts to last a while! Buck weighed a little over 220#. :lol:
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Rick, What a hunter that boy has become! When is he eligible to apply for a guide's license?!
Top Dog

Post by Top Dog »

Rick,
Thank you for the information. I thought that the buck looked 200+.
Excellent job!!!!
Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat