Billy Dixon shot on a cayote (well almost)

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Standing Elk

Billy Dixon shot on a cayote (well almost)

Post by Standing Elk »

For the last few days when I go down to feed cows there has been four cayotes hanging around. They did not seem to be to spooky as long as I stayed on the tractor. But they would take off and head for the timber as soon as I got down off the tractor. Well this morning, I wrapped the ol 50-90 in a blanket and took it along. Sure enough when I got down to the lower feed lot there were 3 of the four cayotes. I turned the tractor sideways so I could slip off the far side without being seen. However as soon as I eased around the back the 3 dogs took off for the tree line just like normal. I was about 20 feet from the fence so walked on out to the fence and layed ol Betsy over a cedar post. It was about 250 yds to the timber and I didn't figgure that I would get a shot before they got into the trees. But to my good luck one of the dogs just had to stop and take a last look before he went into the timber. I am quite sure that I could not make the same shot again in a life time but I managed to put 675 grainer nearly right up his tail pipe. Really ruined his day. Like I said probably could never do it again but it was fun!!!
Beruisis

Post by Beruisis »

Well you gotta love it when a plan comes together. When there's lead in the air, there's hope!
Nice shooting!
rdnck

Yeah boy--

Post by rdnck »

Berusis said it right!! That'll work. Good shot. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, I sure can't deny it being a"well done" with the ole smoke pole but now you got them wised up you better take the ole 22-250 next time. Wow, talk about an lead bullet "enema"! MD :lol:
pete

Post by pete »

Not too many coyotes taken with a 50-90 nowadays, good shooting. They're not that big of a target especially at the ends. I missed one last week at 45 yds. with a .243 :roll: . He came in behind me making a bee line to get my scent and I rushed the shot while he was moving. I know better. Most of the coyotes around here are nice looking but this one was the ugliest. mangiest coyote I've ever seen.
rwsr50

Post by rwsr50 »

Savor the moment and cherish the memory! My similar situation was when a buddy and I were shooting pigeons in a cornfield just after high school, and ran out of shotgun shells. I grabbed my flintlock squirrel rifle and .69 caliber musket so's we could shoot some more. The game plan was I'd shoot at them on the ground with the rifle, then he'd shoot at them when they took off with the musket loaded with shot. Well, the first flock we saw was 100 yards away. I said braggingly "which one do you want me to shoot?". My buddy chided "the all white one". So, I leveled off, offhand, and touched one off. The flock took off, but when the smoke cleared, the white pigeon was flopping around on the ground. We walked up to find his head shot off! My buddy couldn't believe it, but I convinced him I could do it every time. Luckily we didn't see any more pigeons after that, ha, ha.