Need a little help.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

alans49

Need a little help.

Post by alans49 »

My hunting buddy and I drew general archery elk tags this year. We have never hunted in Montana and we are looking for someone to help point us in a general direction. I am thinking some where in the North Central part of the state because I just don't want to hunt with the bears and from what I have been reading, the wolves have really taken a toll in the Western part of the state. I am planning a stop on the way to visit Lucinda, Kurt, Robert, Phyllis, and Heather, to see what's on the rack and show my hunting partner a real class operation. I am hoping that he will see the light and become my shooting partner as well. Anyway we will be driving out the second week of September and are looking for some suggestions on where we should start poking around. So if anyone could help us out, we sure would appreciate it.

Thanks much.

Alan
Alan in WI
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

I would suggest the Belt Mtns. Once you make your stop in Big Timber, head north towards Great Falls. Belts are largely public land with adequate access. No grizzlies that I'm aware of...at least for now!
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Thanks fro your reply.
Right now we are planning to go the the Little Belt Mountains. This is going to be a real shot in the dark archery hunt.

Alan
Alan in WI
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Don't know how much time you will have, but I will recommend the Judith River region west of Utica or going up higher and try around the Russian Flats area. Just a heads up...the elk are there but can be hard to find. They should be into the peak of the rut and pretty vocal around the time you are planning on making your trip. Good luck!
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
alans49

Post by alans49 »

Thanks for the advice. That is just about the area we were thinking to try. We will need a lot of luck. Hunting with a bow is a real challenge.

Alan
Alan in WI
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

alans49 wrote:Thanks for the advice. That is just about the area we were thinking to try. We will need a lot of luck. Hunting with a bow is a real challenge.
Alan
This will be my 23rd archery season. Have eaten my elk tag all 23 years. Yep, they're a challenge with a bow alright. At least they sure have been for this particular bow-bender. Haven't harpooned anything in 8 yrs. May as well hang up the archery gear and dedicate my hunting with my new Shiloh & my muzzlestuffer! Anyhow, I'm probably going to sit out the archery opener as it is forecast to be in the 80's tomorrow. Will be much cooler Sun & Mon, so will go out and give it a go then.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

The Little Belt Mtn's are a good choice. As for bears there are the normal black bears and in the last several years unconfirmed reports of the other kind. The area mentioned are good and also areas around the Jumping creek area north to Divide road. This area has alot of non motorized areas and holds alot of Elk. It's either sex in rifle season so that says something.
Get maps and a compass & GPS as this area can get ya turned around for for few days. Lots of drainages and heavy timber makes locating a landmark very hard. The elevations are from 6000 to 8000 feet on the average and snow can hit at any time in this area. Last fall in Oct it snowed nearly 4 foot in one storm catching alot of guys off guard.

Good luck,
Dan
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Dan O wrote:The Little Belt Mtn's are a good choice. As for bears there are the normal black bears and in the last several years unconfirmed reports of the other kind. The area mentioned are good and also areas around the Jumping creek area north to Divide road. This area has alot of non motorized areas and holds alot of Elk. It's either sex in rifle season so that says something.
Get maps and a compass & GPS as this area can get ya turned around for for few days. Lots of drainages and heavy timber makes locating a landmark very hard. The elevations are from 6000 to 8000 feet on the average and snow can hit at any time in this area. Last fall in Oct it snowed nearly 4 foot in one storm catching alot of guys off guard.
Good luck,
Dan
Fresh snow high in the Belts and nearby Big Snowy Mtns from weekend storm. After a cool wet summer, might this be an omen of things to come?
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Yup Monday when it cleared up you could see a fair amount of white stuff in the Little Belts. Seems this year has been very wet & cool wonder what the winter will be like. :?