Wyoming Antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Wyoming Antelope

Post by Stephen Borud »

First I would like to thank my good friend Drew for letting my son Kaleb and I hunt on the ranch again.

Rifle--Hartford 45 2 4/10 tight chamber, 550 grain round nose .441 pure lead bullet wrapped with 9lbs onion skin paper. 85 grains of 1F swiss, .025 card, 3/16 lube, .025 card.

The morning started out at 3:45 a.m., I rolled out of bed to start the coffee pot and as soon as I hit the start button Kaleb was right behind me to scare the crap out of me, I said why are you awake already, well Dad I've been up for a hour waiting on you to wake me up. Boy he wasn't excited to go hunting. A quick shower and we were loading the gear to meet my friends at the gas station. Two hours of driving brought us in on the summer camp, well that's what they call it anyway, its about 4 miles x 4 miles of sage brush and antelope. With in 2 hours Drew and Jen both had dandy antelope down with the 30-06, now it was my turn. We stopped and had lunch, Kaleb had been hounding me since we started driving early this morning to shoot his .22, so after a quick bite Kaleb punched some holes in a water bottle, well like 30 of them at 25 feet, what a joy to watch your son take interest in the shooting sports. We loaded up the trucks and headed to the main ranch. As we entered the ranch on top of the hill I noticed 2 bucks standing at the bottom about a half mile away, we drove on down the road past them and took off on a sneak. I asked Kaleb if he wanted to do another sneek, he said no dad my legs are tired, so he stayed with Drews wife at the trucks. Drew and I walked about 300 yards until we couldn't hide anymore, down on the bellies we went, watching out for cactus and snakes as we crawled in line with some sage brush that was about 10'' tall. After a long crawl and some cactus in us we reached the sage brush that had been covering us for so long. We both got up just enough just to see over the sage brush, there was now 6 antelope bucks, Drew ranged the biggest at 156 yards. I got up on my butt and as I was getting ready to pull the trigger a smaller buck walked behind the one I wanted to kill. So the waiting game began, within a few minutes the buck walked away from the main herd a few yards giving me a broadside shot. A bang and a thud latter the buck was down. The bullet blew both shoulders out and put him down for a dirt nap. There you have it, my 2010 antelope hunt.

Stephen Borud
hotshoe

Post by hotshoe »

nice shot! thanks for the pics and the story to go with them.
havnt been there havnt done that----BUT LOOKING FORWARD TO THE RIDE!!
pete

Post by pete »

Good for you Stephen and good shot. Good sized prongs. Is he about 13" ? An antelope and a Sharps makes a pretty classy photo. Crawling on the ground trying to get close enough is not that easy especially if the cover is short but it's the way it should be done. Man, and the older you get the harder it is.
I'm going in about 3 weeks. Even though I've hunted antelope before with my rolling block and round ball muzzleloaders this will be my first time with a Sharps. I made a rifle cover to slip her into to protect her when I'm crawling, hopefully it works.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Yes Pete, I measured him this morning, he is 13 1/2 tall, 6 1/4 bases and 4 1/4 prongs. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Thanks
Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Nicely done!

I really like the pictures. All the articles I've written were rejected for poor pictures. That looks like Unit 48 to me north of the Medicine Bow river? Also, that front sight looks like an orginal sharps sight. Where'd you get it?

Thanks for posting!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Stephen,

Nice story and pictures of your hunt. It looks like that PP roundnose did the trick!

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathon Man

It was unit 75 North of Lysite Wyoming, the front sight is a copy of an original early sharps front sight, the guy who made does not want to be known. I can tell you this, I have used the silver front blade, bronze front blade, but this little front sight I like the best, it has a bronze insert, it works perfect.

Manny, I have shot 4 antelope and 1 deer with this sharps and the round nose bullets leave the same size exit hole as the flat nose bullets with a meplate of .160 to .200, I hope to down another antelope and an elk this fall.

Thanks
Stephen
Orville

Post by Orville »

Good show Stephen the next one will be with your 50 2 1/2.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Orville for all your help over the past 4 years, and yes the 50 2 1/2 will be getting a work out next year. I hope to get it this year before the elk season opens in a few weeks to pile up one of those big boys. Shooting that 473 grain tappered bullet makes shooting numerous shots without wiping a snap. And shooting yours last year at 300 yards, WOW did it hold it's accuracy. Pure lead bullet with 9lbs onion paper was the ticket.

Thanks Stephen
rdnck

Yeah boy!!

Post by rdnck »

Stephen, There you go again! Good job, and a nice antelope. Those 500 grain round nosed paper patched bullets just flat out work, and when you shoot them out of a proper paper patch chamber it really seals the deal. I don't see why we shoot anything else. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Well that didnt take long ,,,

Good job
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Stephen,

No problem about the front sight, I totally respect that.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Darn fine goat and great photos. Yes, taking the kids along always adds to the experience.