Just back from North Dakota Buffalo Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Mike D.

Just back from North Dakota Buffalo Hunt

Post by Mike D. »

Just returned home from the North Dakota hunt with Randy (Omaha Poke). We had a great time and got a couple of good bison. The hunt was at the Bison Ranch at Coteau Ridge near Pingree. The rancher, Oren Krapp, was a perfect host. The ranch is located in central North Dakota in rolling plains. A ridge of rougher hills runs through the area and the bison herd is in that area. This is no "pen" shoot. It took me over 3 hours to get into position to take my shot. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to take a bison. Oren is very BPCR friendly!
I used my Shiloh #1 Sporter in 45-70 with MVA sights and my load was 67 grains of 2F Goex with a 500 grain Lyman bullet. The bullet struck just behind the right shoulder but did not exit. After lungs, it turned south and went through the bowels. The animal separated from the herd and traveled about 150 yards before lying down. I put another shot between the eyes for insurance.
Randy will post with photos when he gets home. Randy was a fine hunting partner and we had a fine time.
Mike Davis
Shiloh 1
#1 Sporter 45-70
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Mike and Poke,
only have two things to say...... Congratulations, and,....DAMN AM I ENVIOUS?!
Trigger Dr :lol: :lol:
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Mike,

I am very glad the hunt went well for you and that Randy was able to go so you had a good partner. You can't imagine how much I have thought about y'alls hunt.

Congratulations of a fine hunt and a full freezer.
Lee Stone
pete

Post by pete »

Good job Mike. They're tough huh? We're going to Sandhills but it's nice to know there are other good places to get one that don't have tame animals. What range was your first shot? You're getting me fired up.
blueskyelk

Elk Hunt

Post by blueskyelk »

Hey Mike congratualations on the bison hunt. I too am from ND. Next time how about a nice trophy elk. I am a partner at Killdeer Mountain Outfitters in western ND. We offer a preserve hunt with some really beautiful bulls. These bulls are far from tame and the area is large enough to make it a real challenge in some wonderful native elk country. We welcome BP hunters of which I hope to be one soon. Check it out at www.killdeermountainoutfitters.com.

Kim Wagenman
Blue Sky Elk Ranch

Shiloh LRE on order. :D
Mike D.

Post by Mike D. »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the kind words. It was a great hunt. My first shot was 68 yards so I had to hold under a bit since I was zeroed for 100. The final shot was 50 yards. The herd was really nervous and kept moving. Just as I thought I had ne lined up, it would move behind others or turn where I couldn't get a clean shot. Kim, the elk hunt sounds interesting. Maybe next year.
A group hunt at Coteau Ridge was mentioned to Oren and he said he would cut a deal for a bunch of us.
Mike Davis
Shiloh 1
#1 Sporter 45-70
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mike, glad to hear you made it home safe. I had a good trip home with a brief stop at Shiloh. I couldn't resist that LRE that I told you about while we were hunting, and bought it. Beautiful rifle in .45-2& 7/8 (.45-110). Great wood on it.

Guys, we had a great hunt, and Oren Krapp (pronounced crop) was a great host and guide. Mike was on a tighter schedule than I was so we decided he should have the first chance at an animal. That way he could make it back home with a brief stop at Rushmore. The herd was very skitish that morning, and kept breaking up into two or more groups and running in opposite directions. Very hard to keep track of the animal that Mike had picked out. It took a couple of hours to get to a position that was both down wind and with the morning sun behind us. We had decided the previous day while making sure our sights were on, that if we were facing into the sun even a little that we could not see the front post!!

Mike made a leathal hit on his cow and the other animals ran off about 100 yds and we saw her standing off by herself. We had to make a stalk parallel to her and when we got into position she was down but not dead. Mike made a good shot right between her eyes to end it. The weather was really starting to heat up (it got up to 85 that afternoon) so Mike his wife Renee and Oren hurried to get the Buff to the butcher.

Oren came back a couple of hours later and said they would be able to process another Bison that afternoon so out he and I went. You need a tractor to load one of these animals, so Oren drove the tractor and I followed in his pickup. We found part of the herd in a location about 1 mile from where they were in the morning, and stopped about 200 yds from them. We hiked to the top of a hill within about 150 yds of them and started to glass the herd for the bull that I was looking for.

Just the opposite of the morning they were too curious and kept coming closer and closer to see what we were doing just sitting there. We actually had to chase them off a couple of times and Oren pointed out a hornless bull of about 3 years of age that had chased him a number of times. He always seemed to be in the forefront of the herd and a number of times spoiled my shot at the bull I had picked out. Oren was great. He didn't try to talk me into taking another animal and just waited and watched with me until I had what I deemed the correct ydage and angle of shot. I made it from sitting over cross sticks. the Ydage was right at 90 yds (the Leica is great) and since I was sighted in for 100 I held just slightly low behind the ear.

With the shot, the bull took off at dead run for about 75 yds and then came to a dead stop. The other animals took off after him and then formed a defensive circle and started to root up the ground with their horns and hooves. At first, I thought he was down inside the circle but it turned out to be a big blow of blood. He had run on to where he had come to the dead stop I mentioned earlier. I walked quickly towards him while avoiding the agitated herd. When I got withing about 50 yds he went down with his legs folded under. At about 40 yds from him I saw that he was blowing great clouds of bloody spray and he got up again. I just dropped my cross sticks and shot at the same spot behind the ear and he went down like he had been pole axed.

The first shot had taken out his carotid artery and windpipe, and he would have expired within a minute or two. The second shot was about 3 inches higher and took out his cervical spine.

I think you would have to look far and wide to find a better place to make a buffalo hunt, and have a better host. I highly recommend the Bison Ranch at Coteau Ridge, ND.

I am going to send a bunch of good pictures to Mike and Shiloh I don't have any way to post them myself. I used a .45-90 with 530 gr bullet (30-1) backed with 82 grs Goex Ctg. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Michael Johnson

ND Bison Hunt

Post by Michael Johnson »

Randy, sounds like a great hunt. Did you bring your meat back with you? How did you keep it cool? I am looking forward to my Wyoming hunt. Regarding the 1 Nov shoot at Machias - Is the shooting area covered or are we gonna be out in the rain. What time does the range open? Looking forward to meeting you. We are trying to bring a contingent of Kitsap County shooters. - Mike
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mike, yes on two counts. I did bring the meat back with with me. I brought 5 large ( l - 150 qt, 1 - 124 qt, 3 - 100 qt coolers) with me. I filled 4 of them up with meat, and the fifth had the skinned out head and scrotum in it packed in ice. The only place going west from Jamestown to get dry ice is Glendive MT. The Albertson store. It ain't cheap!!!!!! It cost $1 a pound, and I bought enough for two blocks for each meat cooler just to make sure my meat made back home still frozen. The meat made it back in great shape, actually frozen harder than it was when it came out of the locker! The head was kept nice and cold, and made it to the local taxidermist in fine condition and is in the process of being made into a skull mount on a dark walnut wood plaque. The butcher forgot to include the tail and penis (he talked me into taking the pecker) but when I called him today he had already found his mistake and it is being express mailed to me tomorrow at no cost to me.

Oren Krapp (pronounced crop) also sells Bison meat and one of the items he sells is Bison Jerky. It is the best Jerky I, my wife, and family have ever tried. I am going to order some more of it for Xmas gifts. Man is it good!!!!!!

I hope this helps Mike, but the only place to get dry ice in ND on I 94 is in Fargo. The next place west of Fargo to get it is Glendive, MT.

I know! I tried every city of any consequence, and lost time, but still made the 1400 mile trip in two days, traveling from dawn to dark.

Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Mike, forgot the second count. Yes the 500 yd line at Machias is now or should now be fully covered. It was about 2/3's done at the last shoot on Aug 30, so I would imagine it is complete by now. Steve puts on a great shoot, and all the guys who show up there are fine shooting companions. Everyone pitches in to help pull targets, and spot for one another. You will be hard pressed to find a better bunch of men to shoot with or compete against. I will really enjoy meeting you at the Nov. shoot. Randy
Randy Ruwe
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Omaha,

If you ever make that trip again, you can get dry ice at Tour Ice in Bismarck. They are located right along I-94 at exit 159; right next to the big U-Haul dealer. You also might find it in Billings, but I'm not sure where.

One of my brothers has come here fishing with me in the summer, went home with cooler of walleye fillets, and needed dry ice to get back to Kansas. The ice ain't cheap here either, but that is the only show in town and you takes what you gets.

Sounds like you had a good hunt.

Of course, if you come to North Dakota in January you won't have to concern yourself with keeping your buffalo meat cold.

Regards
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ironramrod, thanks for the info! I stopped at 3 different places in Bismark, and no one knew where to get Dry Ice. I will save your post for the future, Thanks again, Randy.
Randy Ruwe
ocharry

Post by ocharry »

howdy poke,, hey i got a question for ya,,,i'm goin on a buff hunt the first of dec. and i been thinking about taking some coolers with me ... the question is how much meat did you guys bring back with you? so i will have an idea of how many to take. i'm gettin the itch real bad,,can't wait thanks
oil can :lol:
oil can
TPSGMS

Post by TPSGMS »

Poke, I understand keeping testicles for Bison "oysters", but what does one do with the scrotum & penis of a bison (taxidermied or otherwise) after the hunt. Just wondering, Tom
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

ochary, I took 5 large coolers with me, a 150, 124, and 3 100 qt coolers. 4 of them were full of meat on the way home, and the 5th I used for the head even though it wasn't near big enough.

tpsgms, the penis can be dehydrated and made into a cane or putter shaft, the scrotum is just about the right size for a pouch for ammo or other items you might want at the firing line, like a blow tube, pencil, etc. No body else will have one, I can almost guaranty it! Randy
Randy Ruwe