Patched antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Patched antelope

Post by Don McDowell »

Not the biggest buck in the world, but a lot of fun 1/2 mile stock on him.
2.3 sharps ,80 grs of goex 1f, .060 1/8 lubed felt .030 fiber wad from sage brush. 500 gr .435 patched bullet from the Old West mould, wrapped in 20lb southwick cotton paper. 125 yds.
He didn't stay laying down as I bumped a pair of coyotes that were knapping in the draw about a 1/4 mile below him, so he was alerted. I used the creek bottom as far as I could, then started up a little feeder draw. But he got a glimpse of me and started snorting. I just sat still out of sight and hoped he show. Sure enough he walked up the side of the draw and stood quartering into me, but couldn't shoot to much grass in the way.
The sights settled the triggers were set, he took another couple of steps giving me clear view of him. The bullet struck with a resounding smack he turned and ran about 30 yds and collapsed.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
oh-behi

Post by oh-behi »

Don,
Nice story and photo. What caliber is the rifle? A 44 maybe? Was that picture taken where the "Ol cows" live?
Jake
"For those who will fight for it..........FREEDOM..........has a flavor the protected shall never know."

L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Congratulations sounds like a great hunt.

Dan
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jake that's my cheap italian junker. Barrel is marked 45-70, but she only lacks 1/10 of an inch of dropping in 45 2.4's.
Yeh it was about a mile due west of my house. Cows spend the spring in this pasture after the calves are a week or so old and can outrun the coyotes and mtn. lion.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

good job Don

, but why all them extra ctgs, were you lookin for the whole herd?
mostly I like the belt ,, who made it,, Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:lol: Dean you know I'm an internet rifleman, need all the help I can get. :lol: Sides all that got a deer and an elk license in my pocket and the season is open....
Forgot the belt.
It came from Jeff's outfitters. Couple of years ago they had em on close out for 25$.
oh-behi

Post by oh-behi »

Don,
I don't know about cheap. My first rifle only cost me $5. It was a Winchester model 1890 .22 caliber pump. Bought it from another kid in the neighborhood with my paper route money. Sure wish I still had it.
I am sure Orville has a reamer to run that rifle out to 2.4". Or, do you take 2.4" brass and cut it down to 2.3"? Ya' know it would be a lot cheaper for me to bore my 50 out to 3.6". It would remove that .300" freebore :lol:
"For those who will fight for it..........FREEDOM..........has a flavor the protected shall never know."

L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft, B Co 3rd AT's, Khe Sanh Combat Base, February, 1968
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Don,

Nicely done! That rifle certainly looks like it performed very well to me; it looks like it is earning it's keep. Kinda makes up for an occasional tough match or 2 just about anytime.

Regards
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Jake I cut 2.4 brass back to 2.25. Just chuck a lee 45-70 trimmer in the drill press, set the depth and let the filings fly.
Starline brass works good for greasers. Norma basic is to thick for greasers at that point, but does just fine with patched.
Waiting for the shiloh 44-77 to get done and then this thing can be benched to the back of the safe except for times when a spare rifle is needed.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yup, its always been a fantastic shooter, it just doesn't have the polished innards it needs to have.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

thanks for the belt info , that is a nice antelope ,, you dont eat them horns anyway,, he should be good even if you grind him into sausage,..
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Dang, I like that story and picture!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

thanks marathon, antelope are my favorite thing to hunt when you can do it up right, on foot, matchin wits, and gettin close.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Nice work Don, beautiful country too.

Stephen Borud
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Stephen :)