Patched antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Post by bobw »

Don, sounds like a perfect hunt to me and hope to do the same myself next week. bobw
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pictures Bob dont forget to show us pictures..
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Bob are you going to use the new rifle? It would be a perfect choice, and a good way to break it in. :D

Stephen Borud
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Don,

Nice goat and hunt, thanks for sharing it with us.

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Manny.
Had a really good hunt this morning. Was able to get Doc stalked up on a 17 inch buck and he whacked that goat with his pre64 model 70 in 270, shooting the factory irons.... :lol: What a hoot that was.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Good job, Don! Maybe next year I can come on over your way for late dogs and some goats. When's Carol going after hers?

TL
2nd GUSA
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

George you're welcome here anytime you can get here....
Carol doesn't like to hunt antelope, they give her to bad of a time.. :lol:
We've been trying to find a deer but so far all we've found is does and fawns, nothing with any bony protrusions from their heads ....
The elk have just disappeared, and hardly anybody has got one so far.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

17", now that is a buck. I have only seen one I thought would go over 17 and I never could get a shot. My biggest was just under 80 B&C, he went 15 3/4 and 15 7/8 with good paddles. That was with a .50 cal. sidelock muzzleloader in the Pahsimeroi Valley of Idaho.

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I wish I had thought to take the camera along this morning. This guys horns are really interesting, never seen one quite like this. Above the cutters they go up quite aways, and as they start to turn to the inside they have a spiral twist to them, sort of like an impala or such.
Nice spread between the hooks,and there's about 3/8ths inch ivory on each tip.
pete

Post by pete »

Don;
Congratulations on the antelope. It's fun playing cat and mouse with them. Maybe along with wild sheep and mountain goats hunting antelope with these guns runs so against the norm compared to the typical scoped h.p. stuff.
I've never even seen a live honest to goodness 17" buck. 15"+ yea but not 17 but eastern Colorado isn't known for an abundance of huge antelope though. Definately the trophy of a lifetime.

manny;
That's a big buck especially with a m.l.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Pete we've had a few extra large bucks show up here in the last couple of years. Don't know if they've drifted in from somewhere or what. 14-16 is fairly large here. Doc's buck was pretty old the center teeth were pretty sharp and the 2 on each side of the center were worn down quite a bit.
In the 70's in the Red Desert 18 and 20 inchers weren't all that uncommon.