Colorado antelope

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Colorado antelope

Post by pete »

The first animal with the new Hartford 45-70 and from what I'm seeing on the forum antelope here don't come as easy as in Wyoming. I wish I could say I was an efficient hunting machine but I can't. To make a long story short here goes

Day 1; I hunted alone and hiked some sandhills for 11 miles minimum in 85 deg. + temps turning down stalks on 4 bucks ranging from 6 to 12 inches.

Day 2; My wife met me and we hiked some more hills for 4 miles passing up stalks on 2 small bucks. After lunch we drove to another place we could hunt about 15 miles away. On the way we didn't see any antelope but did see some dejected hunters next to their vehicles in a couple of locations. When we got there I just happened to be glassing some country from the road and saw a bedded buck's head about 400 yds away. We went back down the road and used a hill to get within 300 or so yds. The antelope got up and after about an hour and a half worked their way to within 175 yds where I missed the shot hitting right over him. I earlier ranged him at 200 and failed to compensate when he came closer. They didn't leave the country but moved off too far to shoot again apparently unsure of what happened. I did manage to get close enough a little later but it got too dark to feel comfortable to shoot and I passed on it. We backed out when it got dark enough and hoped they'd still be there in the morning.

Day 3; They were still there (This being the buck's home area) and were in a better place for a stalk. We got up on the same hill as them and luckily for me they were working in my direction and I waited while they came closer. The doe spotted me even though all I could see of her was a blurr through the grass. She snorted and came closer to investigate but ready to run at any instant. The buck followed her moving in and out of grass and sage. He stopped to look at me facing almost straight toward me but at a slight angle the bottom of his chest obscured by grass but still fairly open. I quickly estimated the range at 100 yds. and fired at his chest. He disappeared at the shot and when I stood up I could see he was down. He was only 75 yds and the shot hit high breaking his back requiring a coup de gras. The bullet hit right behind the shoulder in the back area and exited in front of the hip.
I used a pure lead Lyman govt. bullet and the exit hole was only 1/2" which seems small compared to the flat points I've used in the past especially considering it hit quite a bit of bone.
After what happened last year antelope hunting I was having some confidence issues and after the missed shot it wasn't any better. My wife just kept telling me I was just trying too hard which helped me out.
Last edited by pete on Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

Pete is that you new rifle , that is a dandy , the antelope aint half bad either , good job,, Dean
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Pete,

Great pictures! Tell the truth, which one of you shot that antelope?? :lol: Neat idea with the wind guage on the barrel. I really like how dark that stock is too and great looking rifle overall.

Well done!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks guys. I put the photos in then worked on the text.

Dean;
That is my new Hartford. Thanks.

Marathonman;
I pulled the trigger but she definately helped me. The wind gauge works real well and I use it on all my hunting rifles. In the photo of just me I hadn't taken the electrical tape off yet. It's where the sling wraps around the barrel.
Last edited by pete on Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Another great story and a handsome buck (the antelope :))

Pretty cool that you had your wife along too. My wife, Tamra, and I hunted 'lopes in Montana with another couple once. It was a pretty good time for all. Wish I could talk her into it again.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Good job Pete, both the antelope and the article about it.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Brent. Yea, my wife is my main hunting partner, has been for years. Hope you can get yours back into it again.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Great story and good shot on the antelope Pete. I like the wood on that new sharps, she is nice.

Stephen Borud
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Pete,

Nice buck and nice looking rifle.

The flat point will give more expansion than the Govt. bullet, all other things being equal. For game under 150 pounds, where penetration is not much of an issue, they will leave bigger holes and are very effective. I used a 420 grain flat point for years in my 45-70's...

They will also ruin a bit more meat, especially if bone is hit. Looks like the Govt. bullet worked okay though? What did the inside of that goat look like?

Again, good job and thanks for sharing,

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks Stephen I appreciate it. Man, with all the walking I'm sure glad she didn't weigh a lot.

mannyspd1;
Thankyou . I used a 420 gr flat point before with good results too but wanted something heavier for the wind.
Unfortunately this was one of those times when you didn't want to eat right up to the bullet hole. There was a lot of blood shot area in the back. I was pretty surprised and am just hoping that it doesn't go too deep and can be trimmed off the edges of the steaks without too much loss. The follow up shot through the lungs didn't do a huge amount of damage although they were full of blood.
If I get a shot and make it on a deer I'll see again.
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Real nice buck ya got there. Speedgoats are the most fun hunt a guy can have these days.
Sweet shooter too.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Pete,

Nice post and congratulations. I was wondering if you get any leading with a pure lead bullet? I have some 490 gr flat points that are about 30-1 or a little softer and they lead. I'm using SPG for lube. I'm shooting a 45-100 2.6.

Dan
pete

Post by pete »

ODS; Thank you on both counts. Antelope are fun and a challenge most of the time to get close to.

Dan O; Thanks. I won't say I don't get any leading but it's not that bad and no more than 20-1. There is something I do though that I firmly believe keeps it to a ninimum and that is to prelube the bore with a natural lube like Bore Butter. I read quite a while back that the theory is that the first bullet down a dry bore lays down lead and subsequent bullets build on that. It sounds reasonable but whatever, the bore lube works at least for me.
The worst leading that I've experienced is when I cleaned between shots and shot with a dry bore. It kind of legitimizes the theory.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Thanks Pete it makes sense I'll experiment some.