First wild hog

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bruised

First wild hog

Post by Bruised »

Not with a Shiloh, yet. Saturday started our primitive arms (muzzle loader) deer season so I was in the woods with my front stuffer. Our property has shown signs of hog activity for a few years,but none have been seen until Saturday morning. I shot a boar of about 150 pounds with a .50 round ball and ffg Goex. Clear through the neck just in front of the shoulder and dropped instantly. I look forward to another chance with my Shiloh. Most people I've talked to say to not bother with a boar of this size because it wont be fit to eat. I saved the back legs to smoke if it isn't a waste of time. Anyone have a suggestion for preparing wild pig or should I just forget it and just start my own "swine jihad" to carry on what Josh A. started?
Bobby
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

I can give you my homemade ham recipe, if that would be of any interest to you? Works good, and it's really easy to do. I make all our hams generally using boneless pork loins from Sam's club. My wife says they're the best she ever ate.

Good shooting on the pig, too. :D

Regards
Bruised

Post by Bruised »

Ironramrod, that would be great. I would appreciate any recipes for this pork.
Thanks, Bobby
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Bruised,

Check you PM file, please.

Regards
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Place boar hams on the spit and open a bottle of Jack Daniels and a bottle of BBQ sauce. Baste the boar liberally with BBQ sauce and each time you baste the boar take a shot of JD. Roast very slowly so you don't drink the JD too fast.
After four to six hours throw the boar away and finish the JD and then get a good night's sleep.
I love to hunt hogs, hawgs, boars, pigs, or whatever you call em in your part of the world, including warthog and bush pig. With any hunting pressure Sus Scofa is as smart as any white tail ever born, maybe moreso.
No limit isn't high enough. You gotta keep shooting just to keep even with the population.
Ironramrod is a wise man. Buy it and fry it.
ODS
Constable Bill Manning

Post by Constable Bill Manning »

I've been wanting to go hunt pigs and/or boars for sometime and am about to retire so will have the time. I've wondered about the taste and quality of the meat. I'm assuming between Russian Boars and feral hogs that there is a difference but maybe not? I also assume that between domestic pigs and the wild variety that there is some differences as well, most likely in the amount of fat as well as the flavor.

I took care of my cousins hog farm a couple of times and it was then that I realized just how much pork tastes like the feed. If hogs are living wild and not getting much good feed that they may not taste too well.

Anyone have a lot of experience? I asked a similar question on another post and one guy responded and said to envision stringy pork with a flavor of good beef mixed in. Just checking with others to see if they agree.

Is it worth driving to Texas from Montana to shoot some? There's always the fun factor but there's fun stuff here as well... :o)
Bruised

Post by Bruised »

Ok, an update on the wild hog meat. Delicious! I smoked one hind quarter with a rub that my wife concocted. The other hind quarter was cut into cubes,browned and cooked in the crock pot. Both methods were excellent. People who tried it that don't care for any wild game had no idea it was wild. I killed a 75lb sow on opening day of rifle season and took it to the processor to get a better yield.
Now then, trail cam photos show large numbers of pigs at night. The game warden will issue a permit to hunt at night with lights and any type gun except a shotgun with 00 buck, don't ask me why. Any recomendations/suggestions on methods to hunt at night or weapon choice? Any suggestion is welcome. Oh, I don't have a rocket launcher or 50bmg, the Sharps would be a little tough at night and the critter have only been spotted in the woods so no long range shots.
Thanks, Bobby
jack therwhanger

First wild hog

Post by jack therwhanger »

Bruised, you are lucky. A 150# boar is getting borderline on size, but quality of food supply can indeed help. Mature boars need the Jack Daniels treatment. Down in our part of the world there is a lot of trapping going on. Some castrate the boars with much size, release them, and do it all over again. The neutered animals taste fine after somewhere around 90 days. My dad was a hog breeder (won some big shows) and as I remember when he finished with a large boar's bloodline, if no one bought the boar for breeding he got the knife. After feeding and loosing the boar smell, Dad would have the whole hog made into sausage-quite good-sometimes had to add extra fat. Depending on diet, the ferrel hogs can be quite lean, but you can capture one and put it in a pen and feed it regular hog food, it will taste like those raised on the farm. My East Texas friends go crazy over pig meat. My West Texas friends are beginning to treat them as vermin. Most farmers and ranchers are sustaining crop and erosion damage. Some are even hiring sharpshppters with helicopters to thin them out. They are not game animals in Texas. Good day, Jack
papabear