40-65 VARMINT RIFLE

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Steve Rhoades

40-65 VARMINT RIFLE

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Don't sell your BPCR short for varmint shooting.
I just made a one shot kill at 527+ yards today on a unsuspecting ground squirrel that decided to meander behind the ram swinger.
Yes I was cheating, I had my MVA scope on my 40-65 Shiloh. I could just barely make out the squirrel in the scope but the shot was comfirmed by numerous shooters.
Some luck (mine not the squirrel's) was probably involved but I've got the witnesses and I'm bragging it up to anyone that will listen!
Steve (One Shot-One Kill) Rhoades
AZ.
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

Want I want to know Steve, did you lazer the yardage :?: , must be lazered or it don't count :P

Kelley O.
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Dude,
He was standing to the right and slightly behind of the ram swinger pole!!
500m 527 yards.
Don't need no stink'n lazer.
Steve R.
AZ.
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

I hope it was a head shot. With a scope, at 500 meters, you should never ruin good meat. Of course, knowing you, you used the whole animal as a target.

Next time you need meat, I suggest you go to Kroger's..................... :wink: ....................Jim
semtav

Post by semtav »

so you missed the swinger, hit some poor unsuspecting critter in the background and now you're claiming .......... :roll: .. :lol:
Kelley O. Roos

Post by Kelley O. Roos »

You-da-man,Steve :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You give new meaning to Rhoade kill :oops: :P :lol: :lol:

Kelley O.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

If Steve had his sight set for 527 yards, he would have missed the swinger. Poor little rodent. Where's Brent when he's needed?

TL
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Guys,
I called the shot. Had to wait until he came out from behind the post. The shot didn't hit center but probably low as he was thrown a couple of feet in the air.
Trent Lawrence was spotting and failed to give me the proper wind call so I think I hit him somewhere in the hind quarter. The good thing about that is it didn't ruin the head mount.
We have so many entries for the State Championships this month I decided to have the meat processed and will use it for the BBQ.
Steve R.
AZ.
PS Kelly-Rhoade kill :lol:
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Timberlake,
You are correct. 500 meters is 547 yards, not 527.
That even makes the shot that much better!
Steve R.
AZ.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Steve probably had a 22-250 liner in his barrel and "Eureka"! :lol: :lol: :lol: Reminds me of a shot my bother-in-law once made with my 22cal pistol on a pine cone in the top of a tree. It was a dinky little thing you could barely see and I said lets see you hit that cone hot shot. Well I don't think he has ever shot a pistol at all and certainly had no training or practice with one so he grabs it, snaps off a shot in the general direction and cuts it in two! I said lets see you do it again but he just handed the gun back and smiled.
It certainly was an impressive hit! :lol: MD