The real Big 50

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Orville

Post by Orville »

MD I shot the deer about 5/8 of a mile north of the my cabin. I haven't used my cabin this season because there has been 15-20 head of does and fawns right around it. I left them alone in the hopes they would bring some of the bigger bucks.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Orville,

Nice shooting! It's amazing how those backbones can take a bullet and deform the heck out of them...hopefully, you were far enough forward and didn't hurt the backstraps.

That looks like pretty open country, and taking the buck with the .50 and the original pp load, with barrel sights, is quite a deal. Thanks for sharing with us.

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

A very nice deer, Orville, and excellent shooting to boot. Shooting him on your own property or very close to it would add even more to the hunt. Additionally, your psychology of not bothering the does and fawns early on is a very good one, and it obviously worked well for you. Congratulations!

Regards
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

That is a fine story! Nice shooting, Orville!
And some really good-looking country...
My black powder cartridge rifle collection consists of a Shiloh in 45 2.4 and a rebuilt Swede roller chambered for 40 - 2.5; I have a longing to add a .50 to the stable!
Andy M

Post by Andy M »

Very Nice and congrats.
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Orville, that was a very fine buck and a fine shot with your Big 50. This kind of thing is making think I need to "get in line" again at Shiloh.