okla. antelope hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

wetcaver

okla. antelope hunt

Post by wetcaver »

I am headed to okla. panhandle in 3 weeks hopefully to harvest a okla. pronghorn with my 45/70 hartford. the land owner states thay are thick this year so hopefully all will go well. i will post pics after the hunt. dave
hartford 45-70
# 3 sporter 45-70
Clark B

Post by Clark B »

I didn't know that there were proghorn in Oklahoma.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Just make sure that the front sight isn't on anything white when the gun goes off or you'll be dressing out a gut shot antelope. :?
Clark, Wy. has been trading Oklahoma antelope trapped off of Warren Airforce base for Reo turkeys for several years now
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Clark B

Post by Clark B »

Don, thanks for the update. I like Oklahoma alot.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Don, How are the Rio Grande turkeys working out in WY? NDGF stocked them here many years ago, and they didn't make it; maybe too cold??

Regards
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I think it's been hit and miss. They stuck most of them in the extreme southeast corner of the state. About everytime you drive thru Hawk Springs there'll be a bunch of them right there in town. The rest they put down in the HorseCreek Breaks at Albin and in the bluffs south of Pine Bluffs. They have a pretty limited season on them, and there's no Merriams there to crossbreed with.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
wetcaver

okla.hunt

Post by wetcaver »

Back from our hunt in the panhandle. no loper for me but my hunting buddy killed one the first day. the weather was crule to us it was 18 with a 30 mph wind all day the first day of the hunt. second day was sunny and in the high 30s with no wind but never found the goats so we went to a large parrie dog town and worked them over pretty hard, 45/70 is alittle hard on the dogs. all in all we had a great time got some meat and made some good friends, i let the land owner shoot my hartford now he is hooked and is looking for one. no pictures that i am able to post. my tag is good for 3 more weeks and i am going to try to make it back out if i do i will post outcome.
hartford 45-70
# 3 sporter 45-70
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

Hey Dave,

We'll be heading back to Ok for pig shooting in late feb. Good luck on the goat.

TL
2nd GUSa
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

kinda hard to save the meat off a prairie guppy when you use the 45-70 isnt it ? it will be better next time ,,luck to you
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Old Doe Shooter

Post by Old Doe Shooter »

Prairie Dog: see "Self-Erecting Rifle Target"