Swing and a miss

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pic-a-lo

deer hunt in Louisiana

Post by pic-a-lo »

wislnwings whear are you located in gonzales? I live in duplessis on 621 ,didn't know anybody else had a 45/70 around here.We need to get together if it's ok by you.I shoot a shiloh sharps .you might be intersted in shooting a couple of matches .they have two a month in Missippi, a papermatch and a chicken ,pig ,trukey & ram's match in Pasagoula,& Bogochitto, lost of fun .This is where you can practice your ranging for yardage on your deer.Drop me a line.
Pic-a-lo (Kenneth Minvielle)
wislnwings

Post by wislnwings »

I live near the intersection of Hwy. 44 and 931. We'll have to get together after bow season and do some shooting.
RMulhern

Get together???

Post by RMulhern »

No No No!! Get two 'Koonazzes' together and the whole state will be screwed up....worse than it already is!!

:lol: :shock: :shock: :lol:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

you may be in trouble. they might be three of us.
one shot; horns on the ground.
dog
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

Following my hunting partners shot that killed the 70+ monster moose bull I got ready to kill the paddle bull standing next to him (the other moose, not my hunting partner). I aimed for the top of his shoulder, being the Big 50 was set for 100 yards and the bull was at 150. I shot, and nothing happened. I reloaded to try again. This time aiming for the middle of his chest. My hunting partner said it clipped the hair on his hump and off he went. No idea why the Sharps was shooting too high, guess the moose gods were looking out for me. It took 6 hours to dress and move the first moose, we would still be out there trying to clean the second if I had scored! Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
rdnck

I have a question--

Post by rdnck »

I've been wondering about this for two days, and can't figure it out, so I have to ask. How in the world do you miss a bull moose broadside at 150 yards?? Twice? With a Sharps?? I'm puzzled, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
RMulhern

How??

Post by RMulhern »

Bill

What ya gotta recall is them boys from South Lousyanna ain't never been out of a 'thicket' in their lives and a 150 yard shot for 'em is a fur piece!!
rdnck

I'm not so sure--

Post by rdnck »

I'm not so sure that the old boy that missed the moose is from Louisiana. I think his profile says that he is an Alaska boy. Of course, there's always the possibility that he may be a transplant. At least he didn't have to beat it to death with a club. Just sayin--

Shoot straight, rdnck
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
RMulhern

From Lousyanna??

Post by RMulhern »

Rdnck

Bill...I'm suffering from HUA!! Gets dark in there when this occurs!

Got 2 hrs sleep last night....working all day...tired!!

Was probably thinking bout another posting!!
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Redneck;
He missed that Moose because he got excited and did not have a good Sight Picture on him.
We don't have any of them Moose in Louisiana.
Plenty of deer, hogs and alligators.
Bill
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

Yep, I'm in Alaska, been here for the past 20+ years. I don't know how I missed that moose. The rifle is right on, I was just off that day. But as I said, a good thing, two moose down would have been a pain. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
bobw

Re: I'm not so sure--

Post by bobw »

rdnck wrote:I'm not so sure that the old boy that missed the moose is from Louisiana. I think his profile says that he is an Alaska boy. Of course, there's always the possibility that he may be a transplant. At least he didn't have to beat it to death with a club. Just sayin--

Shoot straight, rdnck
rdnck I think you gotta be from Canada to use clubs but I am not sure bout that. bobw
pete

Post by pete »

jdb3;
Everybody misses..........well most everybody.......well I do. Anyway sometimes it's the ones that seem easy that come back to bite us.
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

Pete, thanks, that is why I mentioned it. I'm not proud, I very seldom miss, but I will own up to it when it happens. It wasn't the gun, just me early in the morning shooting in the fog. Jim