Finally some colder weather for buffalo hair

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Finally some colder weather for buffalo hair

Post by pete »

I'm going to Nebraska Nov. 22nd and was starting to worry that I would have more hair than the buffs and I'm bald. But the weather is finally cooling off. Tomorrow is warm but afterward some good stuff. Maybe it'll put some hair on the hump. (I Love saying that) I know the shorter days prompt the winter coat but the temp. has an influence too.
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Pete, where in Neb. are you going for your hunt? I had a great hunt for a meat bull in ND just recently and while the weather was hot (85 degrees every day) I did take a nice bull. I didn't keep the hide due to the unusually warm weather. My next one when the meat from this bull runs out will be during the colder season.

I will be very interested to see your post on the hunt when you come back. Good luck and have a safe and fun trip. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Taos

Post by Taos »

Where are you hunting up there and what is the cost for such a beastie? Sounds like a heck of a good time!!
pete

Post by pete »

Guys; We're going to Sandhills Ranch near Gordon Neb. A friend and I are both going for a cow and the price is $775 ea. I went there two years ago and it was a real good setup. You get out and stalk them on foot and they're not tame animals like some places have. I don't think buffalo were ever the wariest animals to hunt but these definately were spooky. It probably comes from being so big they don't think they have anything to worry about. I have the robe from the first one and it is nice but it was warm that year too and hopefully it cools down the next three weeks so I can make a good comparison.
Sandhills hunting operation this year is being handled by k-bar outfitters. Their web site is www.k-bar.com. I think the pictures they have on the site are from a ranch in Kansas. I don't think they have any from the Sandhills since this is the first year they are there.

Thanks Randy, it sounds like you guys had a good time there and it's a good place to go. If I go again I'll consider it just to try another spot.