Whisper's Elk

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kirk

Whisper's Elk

Post by Kirk »

Well guys, Whisper drew blood yesterday. Whisper is the nickname the guys here at the shop named my hunting rifle. It started as a 9.5 pound, 26" standard half 45 - 2 7/8's. I went out like everyone does and shot a lot of rounds off of the bench, 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards. As you probably know, the recoil was harsh, but it shot damn good, tied down with sand bags. I then took all of this, what I thought was crucial data and went hunting with L.J. (father in law), Chance, and Levi. L.J. was packing his Shiloh 45-70 (BP)that I made him so that I had a better chance at getting Heather, we all know how this goes. Anyway, it's opening morning and when it got light, Levi and I find ourselves pinned down by about 250 elk and we are all on a sagebrush flat, L.J. and Chance comming in from the backside. L.J. shot, causing the whole heard to stampede towards Levi and I. They stopped at what I thought was 150 yards, guess what happened? A nice 6x6 presents himself, and I'm nervous, got my #130 set for 200 yards, so I decide to Kentucky hold it (stupid), I don't know where it hit. I now reload, try to range find it, and set my sight at 100 yards, only numbers I know. I touch another one off, and never previously shooting this gun off of cross sticks, the recoil caused it to go high. I decided enough and told Levi to shoot. He got a nice 5x5 with his 270, he was happy I was bewildered!! I now walked to where the 6x6 was and ranged back at Levi, the 150 yard distance turned out to be 94 yards through all of the exitement.
That night, I went to the shop and put in one of those Braco mercury tubes, and also channeled my fore arm and filled it with lead, then bedded it. The rifle was now 11 and 1/4 pounds, but still short and handy. I also took the #130 and turned the elevation screw upside down so as not to put a hole in my face using the buckhorn. We went to the range and started at, don't laugh, 25 yards. We shot in 25 yard increments at a ram's shoulder untill we got to 400 yards. With a 500 grain Jones and 84 grains of FFG, I found 1 point to be 10 yards. This worked great until we got to 150 yards. From 150 to 200 you don't touch the sight. From 200 to 250 it takes 12 points rather than the previous 5 points. From 250 to 300 it goes back to 1 point per 10 yards and then slightly increases as you go to 500, don't ask why, because I don't know. This is all done on sticks, and recoil is a lot cooler now. I took the gun back to the shop and by looking through the peep, I regulated my buckhorn from 25 to 150 yards. Should have done all of this before opening day. I took all of this info. and made a card that is taped on to my Leica range finder, in 10 yard increments.
Back to the second hunt, yesterday, we minus Levi, who was home testing his 1863, because he's ready to go deer hunting and dad is holding up the show, we crawl and we hunt. About 10:00 we come across 3 5x5 rag horns, 250 yards away, walking catty corner towards us. I give Chance my range finder and we went to work. I waited until they got within that 150 to 200 yard range, where sight adjustment is a thing of the past. At 185 Whisper spoke, the bull jumped like it was going to run but didn't, it was calm where we were, but over the crest it was blowing about 15 mph. I put my mouth to the receiver and blew air in it quick and loaded another round. I accounted for the wind and put the next one in the shoulder and it cratered hard. The 2 bullets done a lot of damage. The first shot was in the flank, but locked him up.
It wasn't the 6x6 but it was an elk and not a 6 mile chase, which can happen with a bad shot. I learned a lot, and I guess I wanted to share this adventure with you guys that are rolling from a scoped high power to black and a peep. Know that gun and your loads inside and out. Have a custom mould made with a smaller nose, so that you are not having to blow tube or clean your guns between shots. Whisper can get upwards of 15 shots before fouling occurs and then you better be blowing and spitting down the barrel if it takes more. Hope you enjoy. Kirk, Levi, Chance, and L.J.

P.S.-- Before I forget, old L.J. got a bull with his!!
It is a hunt I will never forget, now on to deer!!
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

:D Congrats Kirk et all!! I am very jealous of you fellows, Ladies as well, of being able to shoot and hunt with what I have always, (since I first read ELMER write about them, late 60's?), thought were the prettiest rifles in the world. Someday I hope to own one of you beauties, but may have to have an Italian job just to get started. With the canadian (so called) dollar, the No.1 I've dreamt about, (nothing to fancy) would cost well over three grand! But as I've said before, kids and grandson can't live with me forever. CAN THEY??!! :cry: Thanks for a great site, and am learing alot, LeRoy.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

Kirk,

Nicely done! I think we all know the extra challenges that occur with black powder rifles. If you want an extra challenge, wait until the temperature is below zero; a whole host of new variables suddenly surface all attempting to have your bullet go to never-never land rather than into the target.
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

AAH! You Western statesmen/women have all the luck. Elk were wiped out here a LONG time ago. So were buffalo, antelope, black bear, wolf... We crazy white men! Now I have to pay several hundred dollars and drive way out west just to hunt one.

My self-pity aside, congratulations on a good hunt.
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Congratulations guys on a good hunt. I'm leaving in the morning (tue) for CO for elk, I drew a cow tag, going to hunt the first time with Black powder cartridges, sporter #1, 45-70. I'm using barrel sights, she's right on at 100 and a little low at 200, and I'm deffinitely using a range finder. I'm using some 330 grain HP on loan to me from Jim Milner. I hope I enjoy the hunt as much as you did, maybe even get that cow elk.
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Ken, good luck on your hunt, and have a safe trip!! Look forward to hearing all about it on your return. Randy
Randy Ruwe
Lee Stone

Post by Lee Stone »

Ken,

Are you going to return those bullets you "borrowed" from the good Trigger Doc. after you are through using them? :lol:

Good hunting and have fun.
Lee Stone
Brent

Post by Brent »

Kirk, congratulations on the elk. Sure is a fine thing.

I would suggest that you erred in judging distance the first time because you were low to the ground. This happened to me and you can read all about it at [url]http://www.iastate.edu/~codi/Hunting/Antelope.htm[/url].

If you practice with that range finder, you should be able to leave it at home and be +/- 10 yds or less out to 300. It does not take much practice if you concentrate.

Using paper patched bullets of course :)....

Brent
fjjensen

whisper

Post by fjjensen »

Kirk;
what are you using for a front sight on old "whisper"?
Frank Jensen