Great to live in the U.S.A.

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jay Glenn

Great to live in the U.S.A.

Post by Jay Glenn »

This past week my son and I went on a buffalo hunt in Western Montana.
The weather was great, + 29 with light snow and no wind. I was using my Shiloh 45/70 with the 457125 with a dual alloy. The shank of the bullet is my standard 20-1 mix with the nose of pure lead. 62 gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 with a .060 veggie wad. Fed. 210 primers and Winchester brass neck sized only with a .456 expander plug. Lube was 4 oz. bee wax,3 oz. lanolin and 3 oz. conola oil. Seems to work ok for now.
We were able to sneek with in 80 yards of the herd with out being detected. Our guide and I finally spotted a bull that was to the side of the bunch. Cautioulsy I stuck my X-sticks in the ground. Our guide said to place a shot just back of the ear. I don't like to shoot for that area, the heart and lungs are the place to hit but with the herd milling around and a buff. lying down in front of our pick I really didn't have much choice either.
I pulled 3 rounds out of my belt with one in the chamber and the two between my fingers for quick reserve, put the hammer on 1/2 cock and closed the breech. By now the heart rate is way up. I get positioned behind my sticks with the heavy barrel about 8" forward for good support.
Prior to the hunt I had enough forethought to color the post insert of the MVA#111 with floursent red paint. This showed up well on the buff and the notch of the full buckhorn rear sight. Those critters are real dark anyway and would be next to impossible to see that post front sight.
The dougle set triggers were set and ready to go. Had to wait till my animal quit moving, taking a deep breath with every thing lined up, gun butt snug into my shoulder, the squeeze begain with a loud echeoing crack. My son said" Dad I've never seen anything drop like that in my life" That was good news to my ears because with the big cloud of white smoke out in front, I was unable to see what had happened for a few seconds. Sure enough the buffalo was down with out a wiggle.
I was not able to recover the bullet to see what kind of expansion happened but the exit hole looked to be about 1 1/2" so the slug must have mushroomed some. This is a good as it gets for me any way. We had a great time and will be a cherished memory with some good meat to boot.
Special thanks to the Shiloh forum for all the support you all give and to Kirk for his crew making such a wounderfull rifle to enjoy.
I tried to post this earlier so if it shows up twice, sooo sorry.

Merry X mas to all
Jay
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Congrats Jay! Great story. I am looking forward to the day when I can do the same! Glad ya had your son with ya too..I also hope to take mine!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Jay, sounds like a great hunt!! Nice going! It sounds just about like my hunt with Mike Davis in Oct. We sure had a good hunt. I hope I live long enough to take my new grandson on a buffalo hunt with one of these great BP rifles so he can experience the same thing that you, your son, and I have! Congratulations :D Randy
Randy Ruwe
Omak Cowboy

Buff

Post by Omak Cowboy »

Jay, what did the Buff weigh on the hoof vs dressed out? Tell us more about the butchering.
Omak
THIS SPACE FOR RENT
RIFLE:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, shotgun buttplate, bone charcoal, 28 inch heavy octagon, semi fancy wood, pewter tip, MVA soule sights. 11 lbs, 10 1/2 ounces.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

did you save the tallow for to make lube with?
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Jay Glenn

Hunt Info

Post by Jay Glenn »

Omaha and Powderburner: Neat to get you're interest in the hunt. The buff weighed around 700 lbs and at the meat shop a little over 300 lbs. Not a real big animal but should be good eating. I plan to get the hide tanned as it will be about the right size to hang over the loft railing. Even with this size buff, they are a choir to get cleaned out and skinned.
To powderburner's question, darn it I didn't even think to save some tallow for lube. My fault. Too much excitement I guess. I used my home made lube of bee wax. lanilon and conola oil.

Jay
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

darn shame you didnt save it. as well as lube you could of throwed some on the burner while you were cooking it and really got the flavor of the old hunt if the wife wouldnt mind the smoke
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T