Great to live in the U.S.A. #2 post

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jay Glenn

Great to live in the U.S.A. #2 post

Post by Jay Glenn »

I forgot to mention in my orginal post that before the hunt I developed my load and then did a lot of shooting off the X-sticks from 100 to 150 and at 200 yrds. Their is such a elevation difference between those distances that with out knowing the point of impact it sure could ruin you're hunt. Did a little filing on the ladder sight to lower the slider so it hit point of aim at 200 yrds with a full sight picture, front post level with the top of the notch. Fine bead worked for 150 yards. 130 yards used the buckhorn with about a 1/4 of the front post elevated above the notch. Any way it worked out for me ok this way.

Jay
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

What place in Montana were you hunting? Care to share the cost? was this a pasture hunt that required a little sneaking, or were you pretty much in the open range?
Either way it is a once in a lifetime experience for most of us. Congratulations.

Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Jay Glenn

More on the hunt

Post by Jay Glenn »

Trigger Dr. Great to hear from you folks. Neat to get some response from people with the same interests.
I shot my buff. on the 6C ranch at Gold Creek near Drummond, Mt.
The ranch was culling some of their stock and I guess you could say it was a pasture type hunt. The amimals we in a large open area with lots of acres of land. They could roam over a large area. Was about 50 head in this bunch. If one could stay some what out of sight it was not a problem getting with in range.
The cost was $400.00 for a 2 yr. old and $500.00 for a 4 yr. old. My buff was some where between 2 and 3 yrs of age. Not a real large trophy bull, just for meat. We guessed him to be about 700 lbs. on the hoof, so they dress out around 45%. Real lean meat. Should be real good.

The ranch does have real big trophy bulls in a seperate area for the open range hunts. What huge animals they are. Well over a ton and I know if I stood up along side one at 5'9" their humps would be well above my head.
Another good place in Montana is the Bill Gehoering ranch near Helena, Mt. Real great fellow and has some good buffs at about the same cost range. He has trophy bulls as well. I shot a big trophy bull on his ranch about 3 years ago.It was a fair chase hunt and a real hunt it was too.
. Jay
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

My shooting pard is using the same bullet you mentioned in your previous post in a Hartford model with a 34" barrel with a modified post front [a story in itself] and a Baldwin mid range rear. After lots of cross stick shooting betweenn 50 and 400 yards we developed a rule of thumb that works really good: 8 minutes of elevation change for each 50 yards doesn't get us X rings, but it gets us killing shots on game. Of course, as described, we are only using the rear buckhorn as a backup and don't have that good of a calibration figured out yet for that. Outta curiosity, how did ya cast 20:1 and pure lead nose? I really like that idea in a hunting bullet. Do ya just pour each in the mold while it is hot? How do ya estimate the amount of pure lead for the nose pour? I know these are some fairly simplistic questions but I am slow sometimes so the more detail you may provide the better! Thanks and congrats again on a really good hunt!
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]