Colorado Elk

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Ken Hartlein

Colorado Elk

Post by Ken Hartlein »

I really like to read all the good success stories on this forum. I had a very successful hunt, but didn't get an Elk. I stayed with some good friends and had a good visit, I walked about 50 miles at 9000 to 10500 ft elevation, and I saw some of the most beautiful scenery you could ask for. I never saw an Elk. On the last day of the season I did find some new fresh droppings but after walking another 5 miles or so I couldn't find them. The weather where I was hunting has just been too warm, the Elk just had not moved in. There was a beautiful moon all week I hunted and that didn't help. I found the fresh droppings just after daylight in a place that I had scouted the afternoon before and the droppings were not there then. I had fun, I hunted, I enjoyed it. Look out next year, I'm going back!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
nohorse

Post by nohorse »

Now that I am older and realize that the work really starts when you have the animal on the ground, and have had some time to reflect on my past hunting experiences, I can honestly say that many of my favorite hunts were simply those good times that I shared with good friends. Many of those memories and experiences more aptly quantify my successes than the amount of meat or the size of the rack secured.

Sounds to me like you had the opportunity to experience a really good hunt that you will fondly remember. Congrats my friend.
Shiloh #1!
Guns:
45 - 70 #1 Sporter, 30 inch heavy octagon with MVA mid range soule and MVA spirit level sights
45-70 Hartford Model, 30 inch heavy octagon with Axtell Hartford Transition and MVA combination sights [the hunter!!]
parvenu

Post by parvenu »

Between the two of you you summed up my hunting life. Sounds like it will be hard to beat the hunt you had this year, but hope you enjoy next year at least as much.
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

This is one reason that I don't mind a "PASTURE" hunt for a Buffalo... I think the meat is just frosting on the cake. The real joy of a hunt is the chance to experience nature at its best and sometimes worst. Having the opportunity to share quality time with friends and enjoy God's creations is worth more than one could afford to pay if they had to buy the experience.
I am happy for you Ken

trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

You fellows are right on. First of all, I don't hunt for antlers, never have. Two things that stand out vividly in my mind about this hunt were very very simple things and had nothing to really do with the hunt. I was sitting in a little ground blind one morning just at daybreak when a group of mountain Chicadees flew right into the blind. One of them landed so close to me I thought he was going to hop over onto my hat. Awsome!! The other thing was I found the biggest smoky quartz crystal I've ever found, it was 6 1/2 inches long and about 2 inches across. My good friend Rodney and I were walking up a steep slope and we had stopped to get a little breath as we were about 10000 feet. I looked down and there the crystal was right between his feet. I couldn't believe my eyes and just looked at it for a few seconds before I reached down and picked it up. I thought Rodney's eyes were going to fall out. We stopped the hunt and looked for an hour for more crystals, but like the Elk, didn't find anymore. I will treasure this crystal forever, I wouldln't take a million dollars for it!!!!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
Levergun

Post by Levergun »

I too got back from an Elk hunt in CO. this year. I hunted 3rd season in area 711. 8500-9000ft. Very pretty, wide open and areas so steep you could not get down them.

We filled two out of three tags and we all went home with some meat. Yes, the work starts after the animal is down! This was my first Elk hunt and it was an experience. I felt like I was aiming at horses!

Yes, the littlw things that you pay attention too when hunting is what makes it great. The crystal you found, the hawk or Eagle feather you find, a perfect bear claw print in the ground, the panoramic view while cresting a mountain side, the friends you spend this time with.

It is for sure more than the kill!
In God We Trust
Levergun Leather Works
NAHC, NRA, TRCA, Tread Lightly
Hunters Helping Hunters ( HHH )