Scouting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Scouting

Post by Stephen Borud »

I took my two older boys out on Saturday to scout for antelope and elk. We took a four wheeler ride up the mountain to meet with the landowners. There is a lot of water and grass this year, the most I have seen in 7 years of hunting the ranch. There was plenty of elk sign down by the creek, in a few weeks I hope to lay one over with my longbow. Anyways we headed back down the mountain to shoot our rifles by some old cotton wood trees. My boys headed over to look at some old cow bones. I told them to watch out for snakes and if they saw one to yell SNAKE and come back running. Well it wasn't 5 minutes and I looked over and here they came running yelling SNAKE SNAKE SNAKE. They made it up to me and I said what did it look like, my older son said it was green and had black stripes. Drew grabbed his 44 mag and we headed over to the tree. I said where is it Kaleb? Dad it's in the tree! By God there was a rattlesnake coiled up and ready to strike, I believe he had just shed his skin, he was ready to strike but wasn't rattling. One bullet from the 44 mag and it was lights out for him. We counted 12 buttons on him. We picked up a set of elk drops earlier that day so we layed the snake on the antlers and took this picture. I was proud of my older son for doing exactly what I said if he saw a snake and his actions prevented one of them from getting bit.

Stephen Borud
Don McDowell

Re: Scouting

Post by Don McDowell »

I hate to have to get around snake country this time of the year, they're pretty growly after they shed.
Glad you guys had a good time.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Don this is the second time we have been out there this month the boys sure enjoy it out there. It's fun to watch them learn new things.

Stephen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Yeppers I remember when my boys were about that size and the fun we had out in the boontoolies, shooting and stuff.
Good luck this fall.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Yep Don I have lots of fun ahead of me and good luck to you this fall.

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I see my post has been hijacked by the above dip stick......I have better words that I could use but I'm not going to.

Stephen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Put him on your foes list. You won't be able to see him on the thread, makes internet life much better.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Hell Don life is good now. Thanks
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Stephen you're welcome. Looking forward to the next time we can have a good visit. In the meantime keep your hunting stories coming.
pete

Post by pete »

Stephen. Looks like you guys had a fun day. You've got some hunting and shooting buddies now and for the future.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Pete and Don I hope all my boys take interest in hunting and shooting like I did.

Stephen
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

stephen , keep doing what you are doing and you will have pards until they hit puberty then all bets are off , les you can keep them out in the fresh air............ :)
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Stephen,
They'll do fine...........til' they discover girls. :lol:
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

I need land and lots of it. :lol:

SB
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

That's great Stephen! I hope your boys continue to follow in your foot steps. My boys grew up doing that but lost interest eventually the same way I guess as my brothers did. I'm an aging dinosaur in my family on the way to extinction. T-Rex I suppose. :roll:
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874