a successful 2003 season

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

archdlx

a successful 2003 season

Post by archdlx »

Hey Folks!! Just got in from hunting with my son and wife. I know I didn't use a Sharps or BPCR, but am hoping for next year! We are still proud of the two whitetails we took today. This is the second year we have taken 2 bucks on the same AFTERNOON. Two yrs ago, Tyler (now 18), and I had just finished field dressing mine, loaded into the truck headed home, when another made the mistake of trying to sneek across the field. Tye made a short stalk and harvested a nice 4x4. This year, we were pushing a small bush, and out came a nice muley. Not what we have tags for. As we were watching him, a nice 3x3 whitetail tried to get away, no luck for him. I love venison heart, so was dissapointed to have blown it out with my 308. We field dressed him after much congrats to each other. Two and half hours later Mom was pushing some small willows for Tye. After 6 or 8 does came out, a beauty of a 4x4 whitetail came out. Tye missed the first shot, but made good on his second. Tagged him on the run through the neck with my 308. Am very proud of him. Much jumping and rejoicing! He has hunted with me for 4 yrs(that he could shoot), and has taken 4 good whitetails and a very nice muley. I am jelous of you guys able to hunt with your Sharps, but can't think I would trade the feelings I have when Tye and I are hunting together for ALL the Sharps in the world!! Here's hoping ALL of my Shiloh friends have as successful and rewarding hunt as I have.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

My son and I had a nice successful week-end last week. Saturday morn we were sitting for about 2 hours and the deer were moving thru the trees. I took a shot with my copy Sharps in 45-90 using a 530-gr ppbullet. That doe jumped and then just milled around and stood there. So I figured I better get another cartridge and fire another for good measure. Well the cartridge wouldn't seat all the way, I then ejected the cartridge to find the bullet still in the barrel..... Well I didn't pound the stock down on the ground, if I had the bullet would have just come loose. But I put the Sharps down and grabbed my other rifle a 35 Whelen. I was not happy about this since I wanted a total clean kill from the Sharps.

I aimed and fired, she went down and then got up again and ran about 40 yards and piled up. Upon caping her out I did find a nice clean hole in her ribcage from the 530-gr ppbullet. The 200-gr JSP from the 35 Whelen entered on a quartering away shot..... now I had a bunch of clean up to do from the bullet damaged meat. Well she is all wrapped up now. If I had just let her alone, she would have dropped from the 530-gr ppbullet I'm sure of it, but she acted like she wasn't even hit.

The very next day my son and I returned to the same area..... about 45 min of sit time and he nailed another doe at 9 paces using the 35 Whelen, she dropped like a sack of tadders. But his doe was his first deer taken for him and he just loved the hunt.

http://www.picturedot.com/JonE/
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

congrats Montanan! I know the feeling of the deer just standing there after you thought you made a good shot. Like you, put another round into it, more freekin' mess! Am glad to hear your son loved his hunt, and the fact that it was a doe didn't take away from the joy of the hunt. My first was a doe 31yrs ago, and couldn't have been happier! My son has had the luck? of having shot only bucks, but he would have taken a doe on monday as it would have been his last day to hunt. School and work come first. Hope you and your son have many more enjoyable hunts together! LeRoy and Tyler.
Levergun

Post by Levergun »

Congratulations to both of you and thanks for sharing!
In God We Trust
Levergun Leather Works
NAHC, NRA, TRCA, Tread Lightly
Hunters Helping Hunters ( HHH )
Ken Hartlein

Post by Ken Hartlein »

Way to go Montanan, good story and great hunt, keep it up!!
Shiloh Rules!!
Republic of Texas Shiloh Hunter
MudChild

Post by MudChild »

Deer season is in full swing here in Missouri. I haven't been out much, yet, though. Between work and other obligations I've had about 2 hours in the woods total. Went out Monday, just as I got home from work. It had been raining, but cleared off just as I got home. I took my .450 Marlin out, more as an experiment to see what it would do to a deer. By the time I made it up onto the next ridge (Ozarks :roll: ), it had started pouring. Leaves were silent, though, so I kept moving. I took about an hour to go around the boundary of my 60 acres, with rain pouring the whole time. Most fun I've had in years.

I'm pretty jealous of those of you who can take your children hunting with you. My stepdaughter has watched too much Animal Planet and wouldn't take to kindly to seeing a deer shotand my stepson is too much into video games to hunt a little bit. My only hope is in my 2 year old. He usually gets excited when I open up the Shiloh website. Maybe there's hope for him. :D
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Mudchild,

Maybe you could take the stepson out kicking and sceaming, :wink: it just may open a whole new persective on life. Won't hurt.

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos