For starters

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

For starters

Post by Stephen Borud »

I killed this cow this morning with my 70# longbow at 18 yards. My hunting partner did a great job calling.This is the smallest elk I have killed but one of the most enjoyable, to do it with a longbow was interesting to say the least. I had to pass up several 5 and 6 point bulls because they were out of my range (35 to 40 yards). We have seen more elk this year then in the previous 6 years of hunting this ranch. We are after antelope the rest of the week. The 50 Sharps is ready for it's first kill.

Stephen Borud
powderburner

Re: For starters

Post by powderburner »

looks like a good start to me...........congrats.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Mighty fine. :D
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That is impressive Stephen! I am always amazed how you guys can get so close . I can barely get within fifty yards of moose or bear without being detected.
I have a friend, who has taken several Dall Rams and Mountain goat with a compound bow. He's pretty good at getting close as well. MD
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

YUM yum,

looks like some mighty tender eatin' there!

The results of planning, practice, more practice and a skilled hunter.

Nicely done,

Jim
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Congratulations!!! What broadhead did you use and arrow combo? How was the penetration?
Dan
pete

Post by pete »

Good job Stephen, congratulations and the long bow is very nice. Not too many people can say they did it that way.

Dan;
If you'll notice..Stephen employs the seldom used bent arrow. They must work better with long bows. :P
Oregon Bill

Post by Oregon Bill »

Stephen: Congrats on your elk, and on your choice of tackle. I've ditched my compounds and now shoot a Martin Jaguar recurve, but would love to go to a longbow. Must be the Englishman in me ...
Bamadep

Post by Bamadep »

Stephen, Nice start to the season! I would love to take and Elk with my long bow. nice looking bow I shoot a Sentman 60#. Can not wait to see how your season progresses.

Gary
“People may hate you for being different and not living by society’s standards, but deep down, they wish they had the courage to do the same.
Brent

Post by Brent »

Pretty nice elk there. I remember hunting them with a bow (unsuccessfully). Easily the most exciting hunting I've ever done, bar none.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

pete wrote:Good job Stephen, congratulations and the long bow is very nice. Not too many people can say they did it that way.

Dan;
If you'll notice..Stephen employs the seldom used bent arrow. They must work better with long bows. :P

LOL ya those bent arrows are better for shooting around the tree's :lol:
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

ImageImage

My hunting pard shot this 15'' goat this morning at 211 yards with a Sharps .270 using a 150 grain copper patched bullet. We hunted this buck for 2 days before we got a shot at him. On the way to the hunting pasture we looked over 36 antelope bucks all around 10 to 13 inchers. It was almost like a generation of bigger antelope bucks died off this last winter. I talked with the rancher today when he was checking his cattle and he said that the winter was dry but the spring was real wet. All I can say is this was the biggest buck we could find in 3 days of hard hunting.

Next picture is the same hunting pard and the 6 x 6 bull I called in for him at 25 yards. He missed him at 41 yards so I kept up the calling and he came into 25 yards and he plowed him with a high lung shot. I got a good picture of this bull as he ran by me at 20 yards. We tried for 4 days to get in range of the herd bull but with no effect. The closest he came in was 100 yards or so. They don't get to be a 330 to 340 inch bull by being stupid. Every morning and night that bull would sit out in the open in the bottom of the hole with his cows, running off all the smaller bulls. If you have never experienced rutting elk there is no other thing like it on earth. There was 75 head in the hole this year.

DanO

I shoot a 2315 arrow and 125 grain Muzzy broadheads. I have made my own arrows since I was 12 years old. I enjoy it. I like 5'' shield cut feathers on all my arrows. I snazed them up this year with a piece of orange fletching tape. I did not get a pass threw on this cow but you can see the arrow where it was bent...that is the depth of the penetration. It was a quartering away shot. The arrow went in behind the right shoulder and lodged into the front of the left shoulder.

In a couple of weeks I will take my boys out to hunt some antelope with the 50 Sharps. I killed a coyote with it at 200 yards and it left an exit hole the size of my fist.

Stephen Borud
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What a great hunt. Thanks for sharing.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Thanks for the post and pictures. Looks like a great trip. Looking forward to the 50 getting it done and the story and pic's to come.
Dan
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks guys for all the kind words.

Stephen