Things that make me say what the

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

pete

Things that make me say what the

Post by pete »

So I'm out this evening doing some last minute practice for this weekend's opening day and at 175 yds the bullets are landing 6" higher. I thought what the hell is wrong? After I thought a little more it occurred to me that until now I've been shooting with the brass front sight blackened because I had a hard time seeing it against the white paper in the bright sun. I blackened the sight, shot again and they hit where they are supposed to again. This is the first time I've darkened the sight so it's new to me. Too late to put on a new blade so I'll go with the blackened one this year. Strange phenomenon.
powderburner

Re: Things that make me say what the

Post by powderburner »

you were just getting excited...

glad you found it now and not when on a lope
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
pete

Post by pete »

Dean;
That's for sure about finding it now. The whole scenerio sounds far fetched but I had a nice 2 7/8'" 3 shot group 6" above the other group shooting from shooting sticks. :? Have you heard about something like this before? If this isn't some kind of fluke it also begs the question about shooting in differing light conditions where the blade is darker or lighter and it's effects.
I'm sure most of us have seen the affects the sun has on impacts. For instance this evening the sun was from the left and the hits were to the right and after the sun went behind clouds the hits moved back to the left. Granted the difference wasn't enough to miss an antelope but there was a difference. The 6" difference on the other hand would be more than enough to miss.
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

pete

Just hold on the bottom of the chest line and you'll be just right!! :wink: :D

Lighting and the 'hold' one can use will certainly at times play tricks with you....especially if using a post or blade front sight! Here's a little experiment you can try! Take your index fingers and hold them in front of your eyes about 2" and slowly move the fingers toward each other while you are concentrating your vision betwix them and once they're close....but before they touch you will observe that one finger appears to jump across and join the other finger! This is what happens sometimes when shooting on a bullseye and one is attempting to use a 6 o/clock hold! I found years ago that it was much easier for me to shoot a 'line of white' hold rather than trying to hold tangent to the bull at 6 o/clock! :D :mrgreen:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
pete

Post by pete »

Sorry it took so long to get back. With the ladder up and using the bottom of the slot filed for elevation I'm already 7" high at 175 yds. and 2" high at 200 yds. so another 6" is a little much.
I guess I'm not sure what you mean about the "line of white" method you mentioned.