The Killing Machine

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

Re: The Killing Machine

Post by Marathonman »

pete wrote:Congrats. Marathonman you had a great season to say the least, getting 5 antelope with a bp rifle is an accomplishment. From what I'm hearing there's a difference in Wyoming and Colorado with antelope. The numbers around here aren't near what they are there and with the pressure most times, not always but most times here if a mature buck sees you he's hauling ass or his does are and he's with 'em. Young ones will stare.
Thanks Pete, I did have a great season and I didn't feel the least bit underguned using paper patched bullets and black powder in a 45-70 with iron sights. In the past I've killed at stupid distances with a .270 and high power scope but you really don't need that kind of range to do the job if applying the right technique. I'm sure there are as many methods as there are hunters but here's my thoughts on hunting speed goats in CO or WY.

First and foremost get there early. I arrive close to my hunting area while it's still dark if possible and begin hunting at first legal light. All big game I've hunted are calmer at that time of day and are much easier to approach. If the area is crawling with other hunters then find a place to watch and see where they go. I have leather gloves and knee pads that roofing contractors use with me in case I need to crawl up on something. I wouldn't bother with that though until mid day when they bed down and only then if a trophy buck was the target. I put one in the record book using that method using a flintlock rifle. Next consider the senses of the game we're talking about. They can run at automobile speed for miles so it doesn't make any sense to chase them. They can see comparable to a human with binoculars so it doesn't make sense to try to approach them in plain sight either. My primary method is ambush hunting. I look for a way to approach downwind without being in the open and surprised them by a water hole or from a higher elevation. When it comes time to shoot I think most hunters take too much time. Most of the time I only get a few seconds and I get into position as quick as I can and then take a second or two to take the shot. Of course there are a million exceptions to everything I just said but that is my basic approach.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
pete

Post by pete »

Those are sound techniques Marathonman. With the exception of last year when I got ahead of the buck I don't think I've ever been antelope hunting where I haven't done a fair amount of crawling. As far as firearms are concerned there have been many times when a buck or doe was out of range of my bp rifle but in very doable range for a modern hp rifle and I've "settled" for smaller bucks or come home empty handed. I killed a buck several years ago with a round ball that qualifies for the ml book but the hunt would have been over alot quicker with a .280 or .243. No doubt alot depends on antelope density, hunting pressure, terrain etc. I would add late afternoon to times when antelope are calmer. I do tend to hunt pretty marginal areas that aren't as good which probably explains my feelings and It seems like when I do find antelope more times than not they're not in an ideal situation for a stalk.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Pete, you and I are on the same page.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

the stalk is where it is at .anybody can ground sluise an animal from afar but you fellers are hunting ,I tip my hat to you.,good job all .
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

Mmmmm it seems you have found the meaning of Hunting and not Sniping.