The Killing Machine

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Marathonman

The Killing Machine

Post by Marathonman »

I'm talking about my rifle of course.

Yesterday started when I couldn't sleep any more and I bailed out at 3:30 A.M. I tossed by gear bag, my Shiloh Sharps business rifle, and a dozen 45-70 paper patched cartridges into my truck and hit the road by 4:00. I headed north on I-25 and stopped at Johnson's Corner truck stop for some delicious breakfast and then cut over to Hwy 287 and up to Laramie Wyoming. From there I went west and got off at the first legal place to hunt in my unit 62 at 7:00 A.M. I saw my first group of about 6 antelope at around 8:00 and I got out of my truck moved to a location where I could get a shot if they headed the way I thought they would go. They did and I shot a nice doe behind the shoulder at around 150 yards and she looked sick but didn't drop right away. The buck siezed the moment and mounted her instantly. I examined her later and found that the angle had been more than I thought which explained why she didn't die instantly. You do realized of course that I'm talking about the shot angle right?

The next doe was slightly farther away at around 9:00 when she stopped and turned broadside. I set up my cross sticks and shot her in the right eye and the .444 diameter paper patched slug powered by 70 grains of KIK 2F exited just in front of her left ear. She did drop instantly and this attending buck ran like a scalded cat.

With 2 does cleaned and in the back of the truck I headed back towards I-80 when I spotted a group of antelope about a mile distant. I planned a route where I could park and sneaked up to the top of a ridge and sat down. Most of the herd ran out of range but one buck and doe that had been further out spotted me. All they could see was a set of cross sticks and a cowboy hat. They were several hundred yards away but the curious doe kept coming closer leading the buck the whole way. I waited patiently having plenty of time with my Sharps rifle to consider how and when I would shoot. It was about 10:30 A.M. now and when she turned sideways at my estimate of 300 yards I knew she would come no closer. I estimated the hold over and touched off a round and broke her back. She required a follow up shot when I approached but no meat was lost.

I got her cleaned and headed for Colorado and gave rdnck a call from my truck. He was pretty excited and we talked until I ran out of cell phone range. He also gave me the title to this post. I dropped off the meat at Reliable Meat Processing (Catchy Name huh?) and I got home at 3:40 in the afternoon. 3 antelpe in 12 total hours including driving time to Wyoming and back has a permanent smile pasted on my face. The business rifle I used had Orville's chamber and rdnck's rifiling button for the internals all put together by Shiloh into a magnificent killing machine!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
rdnck

Re: The Killing Machine

Post by rdnck »

You guys chasing these antelope are having way too much fun! These original configuration barrels and chambers in 50-90 and 45-70 with paper patched ammo are the Real Deal, for sure and certain.

That is fine shooting and a good days hunt. Congratulations. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Mike Johnson

Post by Mike Johnson »

Well done in deed! :mrgreen:
Shiloh 1863 .54 MR
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Nice going.
:oops: I missed two bucks this morning. :o Prolly wouldn't of happened if my 44-77 was here. :wink:
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Don,
Excuses, excuses. Some is better than none. :twisted:
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Don McDowell wrote:Nice going.
:oops: I missed two bucks this morning. :o Prolly wouldn't of happened if my 44-77 was here. :wink:

Don I know it wouldn't of happened if the 44-77 was in hand. That sucks when ya miss but it's better then wounding one. Good luck and march on.

Stephen
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathonman

Wow what can I say slaughterfest or what.........feels good doesn't it.

Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Stephen Borud wrote:Marathonman

Stephen
Every time some one asks me what my ideal job would be I want to tell them, "Market hunter for the Kansas Pacific Railroad back in the 1870's!" :)
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathonman wrote:
Stephen Borud wrote:Marathonman

Stephen
Every time some one asks me what my ideal job would be I want to tell them, "Market hunter for the Kansas Pacific Railroad back in the 1870's!" :)

That's is the best answer I have heard yet. Nice work.

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Marathonman;
Congratulations that was an efficient trip to say the least. You've obviously got a system that works good. I shot a doe a couple years ago where a small buck did what you describe, kinda weird to see.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

I just got back from my second weekend hunt in WY this year with my killing machine business rifle. Today I filled my last doe tag and filled my buck tag and got back home in the same time as last week. Still used paper patched bullets with great success. My doe was the typical 150 yard shot but the buck I watched with his harem of does as they ran towards a butte several hundred yards distant. I swung wide trying to predict where he would go. When I sneaked over the top of the ridge with sharps rifle and cross sticks in hand I found him standing a measely 75 yards away looking back where he had last seen me. I took a quick off hand shot with the rifles single trigger and put it through his heart. Turned out to be only an average buck but I'm still very pleased! Total for 2 weekends is 4 does and 1 buck antelope.

My traditional Sharps business rifle in 45-70 using paper patched bullets has performed beyond expectations again! :D

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

:shock: [quote="Marathonman"]I just got back from my second weekend hunt in WY this year with my killing machine business rifle. Today I filled my last doe tag and filled my buck tag and got back home in the same time as last week. Still used paper patched bullets with great success. My doe was the typical 150 yard shot but the buck I watched with his harem of does as they ran towards a butte several hundred yards distant. I swung wide trying to predict where he would go. When I sneaked over the top of the ridge with sharps rifle and cross sticks in hand I found him standing a measely 75 yards away looking back where he had last seen me. I took a quick off hand shot with the rifles single trigger and put it through his heart. Turned out to be only an average buck but I'm still very pleased! Total for 2 weekends is 4 does and 1 buck antelope.

My traditional Sharps business rifle in 45-70 using paper patched bullets has performed beyond expectations again! :D[/quote

Marathonman that is some serious killing in Wyoming. I'm sure there will be less antelope tags down there next year. :lol: Its nice to see a traditional load perform like it did 140 years ago. Give me some details on your load.

Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Stephen Borud wrote:
Marathonman that is some serious killing in Wyoming. I'm sure there will be less antelope tags down there next year. :lol: Its nice to see a traditional load perform like it did 140 years ago. Give me some details on your load.

Stephen
Not much to report really. I used .444 diameter PP bullets from BACO for last week and unknown diameter PP bullets that rdnck gave me to try this week. Cases were standard length untrimed with WLR primer and a nearly full case of KIK 2F powder. Powder lightly compressed with a card wad and SPG lube cookie. I don't know much about fine accuracy loading techniques but with patched to bore bullets it doesn't seem to matter much for hunting. I took 3 shots from a bench with each bullet at 100 yards and memorized where they shot on paper and then estimated the shooting distance in the field when using a particular bullet. Results can't be argued with and I never adjusted my sight settings once I knew where a load shot. Kind of like instintive shooting I guess. :roll:

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

When you get the rifle and the ammo right and know how to use it, things just flat out work. Congratulations once again, and good shooting. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats. Marathonman you had a great season to say the least, getting 5 antelope with a bp rifle is an accomplishment. From what I'm hearing there's a difference in Wyoming and Colorado with antelope. The numbers around here aren't near what they are there and with the pressure most times, not always but most times here if a mature buck sees you he's hauling ass or his does are and he's with 'em. Young ones will stare.