Jerky meat

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Jerky meat

Post by Don McDowell »

Wasn't really planning on shooting my antelope this morning, but the lilbugger presented me with a shot the Browning Bros, magazine fed lever gun couldn't pass up. After a lucky break in making a sneak and set up ahead of this little guy was able to plant a 100 gr bullet right between his eyes at about 75 yds. So now I got a bunch of meat to get ready for jerky, Doc and Edie have the back straps and tenderloins , so they'll have some antelope chops to enjoy. And all worked out in the end...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Gussy

Re: Jerky meat

Post by Gussy »

That sounds really good to me!! :wink: :lol: :lol: And some good eating....
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

He had a good bit of fat on him, and was about as sweet smelling as any antelope I've ever been around. Doc commented after we got thru boning the carcass, that he couldn't even smell the "antelope" on his hands..
Should be pretty good eating.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Looks good to me Don. My pard and I hunted 3 days and saw some decent bucks 12.5-13" but that was as big as they were. Winter of 09-10 pounded the hell out of the NWC of the state, then the GFP let too many tags in the fall of 10. Only 250 any antelope tags in all of the west half of Harding Co where there were 2000 2 years ago. Didn't figure to shoot a doe just as good a buck as I could get up on. Never took the target sights off my Business gun so I used my 308 today to take a buck at 290 yds he went 12.5" with decent mass and shape,bout as good as any I saw. Your more generous than I, my kid and I will eat all of it ourselves. My pard quit hunting sat nite,said he'd had enough for this year, me I'm done when the tag is punched , season's over or I run out a gas money. :roll: sometimes that don't take too long either. Got some doe deer tags coming up. best of luck on the rest of it. bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Excellent Don :D
Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Don,

Looks like he will do just fine, congratulations!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Bob I sailed two patched rounds out of the #3 right over a huge buck in almost the same spot on the creek as I got this little guy, was planning to go into my south pasture with the #3 this afternoon , there's a couple of gooduns hanging out down there, but when the hunting gods just up and handed me this shot, I took the hint and yanked the trigger. :wink:
I'm not particularly fond of eating antelope , love to hunt them, and do think they make the finest of biggame jerky, so I get my license everyyear. Doc and Edie will get alot of good out of the backstraps etc.

Thanks Stephen, and Marathon, my hunt wasn't as well done as yours, but dang it was fun anyways.

Now see if I can find a muley buck, but I'm thinking the big cats may have ate most of them this summer. :roll:
pete

Post by pete »

Good going Don. Those big ones do seem to have luck on their side most times don't they?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Pete.
Yep , with all the spitonyerneighbor area's and the amount of traffic and pressure they draw onto the antelope , they don't make 16 inches without being smart or lucky, or both.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Don McDowell wrote:Thanks Pete.
Yep , with all the spitonyerneighbor area's and the amount of traffic and pressure they draw onto the antelope , they don't make 16 inches without being smart or lucky, or both.
Saw a real nice buck on Saturday just a few yards off the road on private property. He would have made 15 easy and maybe 16...

I covered one eye as I drove by pretending not to see him!

I wouldn't have shot him on a bet!!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

There's about 5k acres in that walkin area mess. The problem comes from we're so far out in the boonetooleys, it draws alot of miscreants due to the remoteness. Plus there is just a ton of pressure on the walkin, it's not very often you see nobody there during the first week of season.
Seems this year is about as bad as it's ever been. I've had folks driving all over my state lease , and the sheriffs dept, the gamewarden and myself spent Saturday morning doing an autopsy on a 600 lb heifer calf, that someone/thing dropped on the spot , apparently sometime friday over there.
Had a guy slam on the brakes, jump across the fence to my pasture up north and take off running across that pasture, when he saw me coming he turned around and ran like a fiend back to his truck and take off. I didn't think he was going to get slowed down enough to make the corner on the county road. Pretty sure he was on two wheels for a moment...
I wish that there were so many good hunters like you and Stephen, Bob and pete and others, that we wouldn't even notice the jerks.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Don McDowell wrote:There's about 5k acres in that walkin area mess. The problem comes from we're so far out in the boonetooleys, it draws alot of miscreants due to the remoteness. Plus there is just a ton of pressure on the walkin, it's not very often you see nobody there during the first week of season.
Seems this year is about as bad as it's ever been. I've had folks driving all over my state lease , and the sheriffs dept, the gamewarden and myself spent Saturday morning doing an autopsy on a 600 lb heifer calf, that someone/thing dropped on the spot , apparently sometime friday over there.
Had a guy slam on the brakes, jump across the fence to my pasture up north and take off running across that pasture, when he saw me coming he turned around and ran like a fiend back to his truck and take off. I didn't think he was going to get slowed down enough to make the corner on the county road. Pretty sure he was on two wheels for a moment...
I wish that there were so many good hunters like you and Stephen, Bob and pete and others, that we wouldn't even notice the jerks.

Don I am amazed how dumb some of these hunters are. Every year I hunt my pards private land and every year there is guys I find on his land or getting ready to go on his land. I can't kick them off but I sure as hell tell them where there at and it's there responsibility to know if there trespassing. Some guys just don't know any better and some do know better but both have no excuses. To bad you have to deal with that crap.

Stephen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Stephen it really makes me dread hunting season coming. And we start getting hit with elk hunters in mid sept, then the big onslaught comes with the deer and antelope seasons. Things slow down when the elk season goes to just antlerless, folks that are out to shoot for meat don't pull the same stuff that somebody looking for something just to hang on the wall does .
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don you said a mouthfull there "the pursuit of horns sure brings out the worst in some people" thats a fact. The ranchers up where I was hunting don't mind putting up with a few head a antelope but it sure don't make them happy when there is alot. Probably more so, cause they don't like being invaded by the orange coated army from out east, that think they gotta drive everywhere and can't find there ass with both hands . Never mind find their way on a map. The GFP puts out a Walk in Area Atlas every year and it is a very good map of the state with all the land that shows either private or public ownership. FREE. with it and your odometer on your vehicle there is no excuse for being on someones land that you don't have permission for. 3 years back they digitized it into FREE dowloadable software on the net for anyone to download into a capable GPS unit. Mine is a Etrex Garmin Vista HCX model it goes hunting every time , I allways know exactly where I am at all the time. The numbers were hurting bad this year and the GFP knocked the tags down to 300 for the whole west side of Harding and 250 for the east side. Hate to say it but was a classic case of less is more. So few hunters that we had a much better hunt than ever for the lack of competing parties. Was good ,real good. Best of luck on the antlerless elk and deer. bobw
bobw
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

bobw, Stephen, Don.

I grew up in western Colorado farming and ranching and we had trouble with hunters every year. Elk were few and far between even at higher elevation in those days and antelope didn't exist anywhere but Wyoming as far as I knew. The worst class of hunter we hated the most were out of state deer hunters. I witnessed one speed up and hit a deer with his car one night on purpose. The main trouble though was our winter wheat fields that wove in and out of cedars and junipers along the foothills. By fall the wheat would be a few inches high waiting for winter snow to provide moisture and a long sleep till spring. And I'll be damned if we didn't find hunters that would cut fences and set up hunting camp on what must have looked like a courthouse lawn to them! :evil: Back in town we often saw deer strapped to the top of a car or the hood of a truck. Almost always they were not skinned and sometimes not even gutted. We always figgured they threw the stinking mess in the bar ditch about Kansas or so. :shock:

Modern big game management has elk, deer, and antelope found across the state and the class of hunter has improved too. Horn hunters still poach a large deer or elk on occaision. However, when I told my sharps antelope story at work yesterday I had two guys tell me I was shooting with iron sights better than they could with their scope sighted 250-3000 and the other guy's scoped 30-06. Really? :lol:

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874