Ducks in Portage

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Ducks in Portage

Post by mdeland »

Well, we had a fine day in Portage Alaska shooting a few ducks and watching swan flocks get ready to head south and snow geese flying high over head.
We had to break through some skim ice on our canoe trip into the blind but busted a flock of Mallards just before getting set up and I managed to drop one cleanly as the flock circled and passed overhead.
We set up about 100 yards father up stream than two weeks ago but I think it a better spot overall. Not a great deal of action as mid week hunting there are no hunters out to keep the flocks actively moving around.
Later in the day a Gadwall came to light in the spread that we picked up as well as a spoonbill a bit later.
Did better with the shot gun this time having three docks for 5 shots the farthest a good 35 yard shot going away.
I was giving them to much lead the first trip so this time I cut it in half and the ducks began to come down.
Saw a few flocks of snow geese go over but nothing within range. Were going to try again next week and hopefully can get into some more Mallard and maybe even some Canadians.
A cow moose came with in 75 yards of the blind to check us out and we saw a good many eagles and ravens moving about.
I am really getting into this duck hunting thing now that I have a good hunting buddy that live eats and breaths ducks.
To bad I don't have a muzzle loading shot gun as I would definitely give it a go although I don't know how they would fair with the steel shot necessary for water fowling. I would suppose the shot cups would protect the bores as well as any other shot gun but really have no experience with them. :D MD
jdb3

Re: Ducks in Portage

Post by jdb3 »

We are heading to the Stikine flats this weekend. Hope the ducks and geese are in. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I used to hunt across the inlet from Anchorage but don't have the connections to any one over there with a duck shack these days.
It was always an over night'er to cross the inlet and these are just day trips which makes it lots easier for my business.
We tried again last week but the ice was to thick to break through with the canoe. A front came through and melted the ice off while also moving some of the northern flocks down into the area. There was some skim ice and we must have sounded like an eighteen wheeler moving through it on the ponds and stream to get to the blind.
We'll keep going until the ice stops us or the ducks leave out.
I've been using my old parts gun model 12 Winchester with a dial Poly choke on the end. That gun just fits me well and I love to shoot it although my more sophisticated shotgun friends won't be seen in the same neighborhood with me carrying it. :lol:
I actually had one friend make me leave it in the car at a skeet shoot he invited me to and use his over and under. :lol: I got a big kick out of that deal.
Actually I have a nice Winchester 101 in pristine condition but much prefer the model 12 for duck shooting. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Jim, would you post some pictures of your hunt? I'll try and remember to take my camera as well next week and post some pictures of the area and animals if I can get them.
We live here and take the beauty of Alaska for granted but think it a good idea to share it with others who are interested in this type of hunting and the state. Mike D.
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

MD, You can save your money re: using a ml shotgun w/ steel shot. I experimented w/ that a lot in years past, and the results were marginal at best both on paper and in the field. Both my doubles have been jug choked, and they just didn't perform well w/ steel shot; they shoot lead shot like gangbusters. Also, the heavy steel shot wads need to be hammered through any modern screw-in choke larger than IC, when loading a ml that has one. I've not shot any of the newer non-toxic shot, but it is pricey if one does a lot of shooting w/ it.

Nevertheless, hunting ducks w/ black powder loads is fun. Based on my experience I would recommend getting a cheaper shotgun (Fox model B or similar, if you're into doubles), load some shells w black and steel shot components and give it a try. Woody (who posts on this site) just published an excellent article in BPCR News on loading/shooting black powder loads in shotguns; it has a pile of good info.

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

MD, I'll try. Haven't put pictures on here before. If I can't I'll email them to you. It has been raining here, new records for August and September. Already some terminal dust on the Kupreanof Island mountains but no ice at sea-level. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Jim, the termination dust is down to the 1000 foot level on Flat Top. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Well, we bombed today, no ducks came to our spread at all. We saw a half dozen mallards on the way in and jumped two drakes just as we were paddling in at about 60 yards going away and I elected not to shoot fearing only wounding them.
Did see a nice flock of geese going up and over the pass to Whittier but far out of range.
Had a Golden eagle fly right by our blind when started the duck calling. Man was he a big mature bird. I waited a bit and got on the duck call again and a bald eagle flew by in the same place the Golden had.
My buddy commented on how good I was at calling up eagles and we got a laugh out of that but was exactly what had happened.
Here are a few pictures of my trusty Model 12 duck gun and the area with Chris setting out decoys.
The fourth shot of the sun is looking out the pass to the south. Whittier is just over the ridge. MD
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

MD, sorry for the delay. Here is one. Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.