James H Cook

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Re: James H Cook

Post by Stephen Borud »

Don McDowell wrote:Stephen you could almost make a field trip with the boys out of Cooks ranch and the fur trade museum in Chadron....
Heck ya Don I need to do that someday. I have always wanted to go to the Museum of the Fur Trade and to catch Cooks place would be icing on the cake. Thanks Don.

Stephen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Stephen Ft. Robinson is right there also.....
I hear they have a Gemmer rifle or two over there at Chadron, but I haven't taken the time to go have a looksee yet.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thanks Don for the info.

Stephen
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

Haven't been there in 20 plus years, but they had an abosolutely unbelievable collection of northwest trade guns at the Museum of the Fur Trade near Chadron. Often have wondered if they still have them. I think they had at least a dozen examples if memory serves. Charles Hanson ran it then.
Ken
"When small men begin to cast long shadows the sun is setting" (unknown)
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Kenny have you did any deer hunting yet?

Stephen
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

Yes, Stephen, was up in the NW part of the state (near White Earth). Only drew one tag this year, an any-antlerless. Thought that would be very easy to fill & passed up what I thought was a pretty small adult muley doe one hour after season opened. Should probly not done that, as never did get another shot the whole three days we were out. Rancher said he found over 50 dead whitetails right around his yard and hayfence this Spring. So many he and his son took a half day to gather them up and got rid of them. No EHD up there, so it was the bad winter, and they got into the hay (which they will die with a belly full of).

Only one of our four filled, and niether the rancher nor his two sons shot anything either. I'm afraid after the last two hard winters and a few previous to that that were harder up there than they were here in the middle of the state spells the end of our three deer a year days. Dwindling CRP and less cover also play a big part. Deer, pheasants, and even Sharptails are way down all over the state. Huns are about extinct.

With the opening w/e socializing done, I might not even make the trip back up there for a doe, which would likely be a muley (not that there's anything wrong with a muley). Fried up liver and onions in camp, and that young muley liver is the best there is. Hardly even has a liver taste.

People and traffic up the @$#%# due to the oil play in that country now, and more coming. Went in on an old abondoned homestead place we hunt and found a hand living in an old schoolbus he's got covered with blue plastic tarps and skirted with more tarps held down with a ridge of crushed rock, with four big cooler chests outside for larders. No electric and no water. The 40+ mph wind on Sunday may have already pulled his skirting out from under the gravel, but I know his coolers will work good unless he plans to use them to keep stuff from freezing :P I was in there a couple of years ago after we had only about a foot of snow, and had fun doing that with a 3/4 ton 4 wheeler. He might have some trouble getting to work :)

For the bears, I've shot two blacks in Idaho with my .54 Hawken copy with Large barrel and Roller lock & round ball twist, both of which would have made the book as a grizzly on the bottom end. Didn't have any trouble with either one, but can't say I didn't feel a little trepidation. My backup was a .45 Peacemaker with stout loads, that I was happy to not need. I don't know why anyone would say that a .50 is ballisticly superior to a .54. I suspect they meant it's easier to find .45 or .44 plastic-saboted jacketed bullets to shoot out of a fast twist in-line. A perversion of the whole muzzleloading tradition and the main reason the whole "feathers and leathers" (as one put it) and I prefer to call traditional m/l sector is in severe decline :cry:
Ken
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Kenny thats to bad the deer have died off in past few years. I need to get back up there and do some deer hunting again, maybe when the deer herds are on the rebound. I agree with you on the muzzleloading gimmick. I watch one of my hunting pards shoot his .54 cal black stocked, stainless barreled, leopold scoped muzzleloader at an antelope buck at 200 yards. After a mile of tracking the wounded buck (followed the tracks in the mud) we caught up to it and he shot it threw the head at 40 yards. Disappointing but atleast he got him. Take care Kenny, someday I need to cook you breakfast again.

Stephen
Ken Heier

Post by Ken Heier »

Take care Kenny, someday I need to cook you breakfast again.

Yup, I'm gonna look forward to that, Stephen. It was a breakfast I'm still remembering, that you did at Big Whiskey :!:
MRW

Post by MRW »

Stephenthe , after reading your post ordered the James Cook book. I received a hard back 1924 edition. Really enjoying reading his life story. Thank you for the introduction to a fine man.

Stephen, thanks for introducing the Cook book. I was able to buy a 1924 original edition through amazon.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

MRW you are welcome! It's a great book.

Stephen