Out of shape!!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Gussy

Out of shape!!

Post by Gussy »

Deer season, keeping up with a 25 yr old.....bird season, 2 days straight of walking hills and gullys,...elk season, 3 straight days of up hill both ways....I think I'm getting too old or :oops: :roll: :roll:

Gus 1 deer 0
Gus 1 birds 1 (second hunt was first outting with 4 mo old Lab pup...wasn't expecting much :D :D )
Gus 0 elk 3

I put in 5 straight days of several miles walking and none of it on flat land. Actually, today wasn't too bad and the soreness wasn't there. Walking down a steep hill with rocks is as hard as gong up but it can be faster :roll: :roll: :lol:

Elk yesterday...My hunting partner went one way and I went the other...He heard a couple of shots above him and over the hill came 3 herds, 75-80,12-15, 20-30 they split directions and were all around him. The big herd had legal bulls in it (spikes only area) but they turned NE and went away from him. No clear open shots. I was in the direction the 12 went...2 rag horns, no shooters. 7 more days.... :shock: :wink: Sounds better than it is actually. Since the adjoining land owner clear cut 30 acres, it altered the elk pattern. They pass through, usually when bumped, but very rarely stay. None of these even slowed down. They headed for the deep timber to the East and South of were we hunt.
Gussy

Re: Out of shape!!

Post by Gussy »

Well, it's now Gus 0 elk 5 :? Not even a fresh track. :(

However, I did take the new 2.4 sharps out for the first time. :P :P I worked up an acceptable load 2 days back and loaded 15 last night. I have my new hunting rifle. The 2.6 will take a back seat for a while. This has a std weight half round barrel vs the the 2.6 full heavy oct. Much nicer on the shoulder. Now I need hunting sights.

No elk in sight, but.... I took a different path to the top today and found....Wolf tracks in the mud, probably from Sun night :evil: :evil: I knew they were in the area but this is the first I've seen near home. My lab pup acted very strange 2 days back and I think it was really close to home. The neighbor saw 2 just over a ridge from my house last week.

On a brighter side, I did see a muley 4X4. Biggest buck I've seen in a couple of yrs. Not great, but at least I know a better buck is servicing the locals!! :roll: :lol: :lol: