A walk in the woods!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Up In Smoke

A walk in the woods!

Post by Up In Smoke »

Sunday me and the Hartford decided to go out and get some fresh air and exercise. Went up into the Big Snowies in central MT. Although I came home empty handed, I could have scored in a big way had the moon and stars been in the right alignment. I found myself face to face with one of the biggest bull elk I have seen for sometime. Had him standing at 100 yds. Only one big problem! Yep, limited draw area. All I could do was drool and fantasize. But had he had some girls with him, I would have been in business. Actually the purpose of my outing was to check out whitetail activity and see if there was any signs of rut activity yet. I did get a glimpse of one whitey that might have been worth dropping the hammer on. But lots of time to the season yet. No rush.
I did find this 5 pt bull that had a bad day. Mountain lion? Wolves? Don't know as I could find no tracks. However, the bears were eating good as several big piles of crap were around the carcass, one of which is visible in foreground of picture.

"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
Top Dog

Re: A walk in the woods!

Post by Top Dog »

Up in Smoke,

Judging by the piles near the carcass,I would say there are some pretty big bears near by!!! Be careful out there so you don't wind up on their menu!!!!

Best of luck on your whitetail hunt.

What gun/load???

Top Dog
Be carefull of the words you speak
Choose them soft and sweet
Yopu never know which ones you're gonna eat