A Bird in Hand

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

A Bird in Hand

Post by Woody »

Finally got a day off. My brother, his son in law, and I went pheasant hunting this morning. Misting and warm, (59). The dogs nose was working as well as my G. Gibbs 10 gauge. We each limited with two birds each. I will admit that I missed the first two wild flushing birds, before I settled down to business. Yes the shells were loaded with black.

[img]http://i849.photobucket.com/albums ... .jpg[/img]

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
ole pizen slinger

Re: A Bird in Hand

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Beautiful birds, Woody. Glad you had a nice hunt. By the way, I'm enjoying my box.
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Oh boy, that brings back old and pleasant memories! There just isn't a more beautiful or exciting bird on the planet to my way of thinking !And man are they good eating too! MD
Woody

Post by Woody »

Happy Thanksgiving to all. My brother and I went out again this morning to excersize the dog and birds. Beautiful day. Thin overcast, 45 degrees. Three hours and we limited again. Fine eating coming up. Heres a couple of pic's of Robert, (my older brother), Sue, (his hunting partner), and me with my Gibbs.

We should get out again on Sunday.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Man, great shots Woody! Looks like good Ringneck country as well, any quail in the area also?
Whats your brother shooting?
Always like to get pictures of people and see if what they really look like matches up to what I think they look like in my mind after talking with them for a spell. :D MD
Woody

Post by Woody »

Very few Quail left in Indiana. Too many Coyotes. Same with rabbits. If you want to go rabbit or quail hunting, you need to bring them with you. :D I hear quail from my house all summer, but haven't jumped any. I do have rabbits though, just look at my garden. :D

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Woody

Post by Woody »

Almost forgot. Rob shoots Remington Auto's. He never has developed my passion for the old things in life.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Jeff Bryan

Post by Jeff Bryan »

Beautiful job Woody!!!

Two gorgeous birds, a great looking traditional shotgun, and a goodlookin hunting dog to boot.

I'd like to duplicate that feat someday. I have the dog, just need the gun and some unlucky pheasants!

Jeff
Brent

Post by Brent »

Woody wrote:Almost forgot. Rob shoots Remington Auto's. He never has developed my passion for the old things in life.

Woody
Just slip a few bp rounds into his vest pocket and perhaps you can "fix" that autoloader if it is an 1100 or 1187.

:)
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Woody

Post by Woody »

Brent,

I don't want to risk my "Go to guy", when I need a milling machine, or some expert machine shop advice. :D

We finished up hunting pheasants for this year, yesturday and today. Rained hard both days. Took my 97 out in the wet weather. Yesturday we got into the birds again with four of us working behind one dog. We all limited by 1030. I was going to spend the rest of the day in the shop, but work called with an emergency and it was off to work again. At least they waited until I was done hunting. This morning, it was just my brother and me. For once we found two quail. They flushed too soon to get a shot at them, but it was nice to find them. Only one rooster today. Cold and wet, but still a great time with my brother. Now it's off to the wood shop.
Richard A. Wood
Brent

Post by Brent »

Woody, you really need to retire from retirement so you can retire.

I can't hit much with my 97 Winnie. If I used it more, maybe I'd be better, but now I pull a trigger once every few years on a turkey and that's it. Switching from an English double to a 97 Win is not pretty for me.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Woody,

I got the ammo box, it is an outstanding piece of craftsmanship.

Thanks for building it with pride!

Best, barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.