Buffalo Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

shooter 37

Buffalo Hunt

Post by shooter 37 »

On Nov. 10th I took my first Buffalo Bull at 1000 Hills Bison Ranch in San Accacio CO. I signed up for the hunt after I had really checked out a few different opportunities to take a Bull, for a 1st time Buff hunt it worked out well.
We were to hunt off horses but this old back went out the night before the hunt so it was out in a 4X4 and walk. (Picture the 1000 year old man carrying a Shiloh Sharps 50/90 and you have the idea.)
The hunt was a fairly long walk-up across open rolling range. At about 150 paces one 512 Gr. 512142 over 100 Gr. of Swiss 1 1/2 went thru his left lung and the bull went down..... right now.
A second round thru the neck was taken as the the outfitter insistance.
The bull was not a record, just a prime hide, 15 1/2 in. horns and a lot of really great meat.

As for 1000 Hills Ranch: John Ray, owner, is a very skilled hunter and a great hunting companion. Accomodations were good and the folks in San Accacio were really nice. The scenery is worth the trip with Mt. Blanca looking up at you to the North. Was it the best hunt value? Well this year I'd say so, maybe next year I can get into a herd hunt... Mike Davis is close by and he might need a "Chester" along.
For anyone who wants to take a really big Buff, call John Ray, he has a few fur covered Peterbuilts out there.

Last word; if you own a Shiloh Sharps HUNT WITH IT.....
THE ONLY INTERESTING RIFLES ARE ACCURATE ONES
Mike D.

Post by Mike D. »

Hi Al.
Glad to hear you had a good hunt. Lets get together and swap stories. I've got a nice mounted bison head in my shop since you were last there and I picked up a 50-90 so I need your assistance with some loads.
Mike Davis
Shiloh 1
#1 Sporter 45-70
shooter 37

Post by shooter 37 »

Hey Mike
Give me a call when you have a break, and I'll also try to reach you...... Be good to compare notes
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Nice hunting report, I hope to someday soon take my first bison, but it will be with a 45-90 as I don't have a 50-90 at present.
The Montanan

"I don't care what a person shoots, as long as he shoots it well"
shooter 37

Post by shooter 37 »

Montanan
A stoutlyloaded 45/90 will do just fine. From what I have seen over the years a heavy flat nosed bullet over a full load of black will stop just about anything I'll ever hunt.
Good Luck and take a good one.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Shooter 37

I was thinking about a bullet design like in the picture link
http://the_montanan.tripod.com/Cast-King.jpg

The short flat one is a 500-gr Elk Buster but it is very hard and will easily break both shoulders of even a 2,000 pound Buffalo.

Of course my favorite is not a flat nose design it is more round nose for paper patching these are 530-gr but the lead is much softer. I supose a file could take some of the nose off and flatten it more. Very much like this 550-gr in this picture that Brent Danielson uses for his 45-100
http://the_montanan.tripod.com/45-100-550.jpg

I had one company send me a bullet sample of a 580-gr hammer head bullet that is gas-checked, these are nice, very nice and much softer than the 500-gr HH ones that I have.
The Montanan

Omaha Poke

Post by Omaha Poke »

Montana, I clicked on both the addresses you posted and just got a blank page that says Tripod.com at the top. Maybe I am doing something wrong, but there is no picture or image. Randy
Randy Ruwe
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

I'll figure out another way of posting a link to those pics I have.
The Montanan

The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Okay a way that the link will work is copy and paste it to the URL address line. Clicking on the link I got the white page too from tripod, but was able to copy and paste and it worked fine.
The Montanan

shooter 37

Post by shooter 37 »

Montanan
I like the shape of the Elk Killer bullet. Cast about 30-1 would make that a great hunting bullet. I prefer a flat nose design for a game bullet, saves a lot of walking after blood trails. Let us all hear how you do.
The Montanan

Post by The Montanan »

Shooter 37

Here is a link to 4 loadings that I do. http://www.hunt101.com/img/075458.jpg

Your right about the mix, if it were 30-1 mix being much softer like the 530-gr paper patch bullet it would be a great BPCR bullet. All except the PP bullet are hard cast and do not do well with BP for target work. BUT for hunting would work real well.
The Montanan