Business rifled Buck

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Darryl

Business rifled Buck

Post by Darryl »

Well, the business rifle got its cherry popped on its first buck yesterday morning.
It's not a big buck, but as we all know - any buck killed with an open sighted rifle shooting cast lead bullets with straight black powder in cartridges that we work up loads for is a trophy in the greatest sense and a truly a rewarding experience.

My shot was a lasered 80 yards and I'm shooting a 525 grain flatnose bullet in 30/1 with a .310" meplat driven by 70.0 grains of Goex express compressed .380"
The shot was broadside and if you look carefully you can faintly see a white mark in the lower left shoulder area where the bullet entered. Surprisingly, the bullet exited the neck.

Now, I do know that the buck had his head down feeding right before I dropped the hammer. But, I'm not sure if he was slightly quartering away to where the shotpath would enter that point of the shoulder and exit the neck. OR, could it be that the flatnose bullet might have a tendency to deflect or veer on certain impact angles?

To sum it up, this buck dropped like it was hit by a lightning bolt because the spine got broken as the bullet passed through the neck and exited. The deer did not wiggle, kick, attempt to get up, wag it's tail - nothing, nada, DRT (Dead right there). That was the weirdest and most instantaneous kill that I have ever made or ever witnessed on an animal. I watched through binoculars for 5 minutes immediately after the shot, and to reiterate again - it did not move A BIT.

I'm hoping this was just a fluke shotpath caused by the animal being slightly turned and I just didn't notice it before I squeezed off. I can imagine how the bullet could exit the neck if it's head was turned to the right before the shot - providing he was also slightly quartering away also.

However, If he was indeed perpindicular to me - and the shotpath was truly on a perfectly broadside presentation - Then I'm a little concerned about the flatnose design giving straightline penetration.

I haven't talked to RDNCK yet about what happened, but I intend to because he had virtually identical experience on a much larger animal in Africa with a flatnose bullet. What gets me, is this was a Texas Whitetail? Our deer down here are nothing more than big varmints.

Here are the pics. (By the way, you either have a business rifle in 45/70, or you need one)

rr2241tx

Re: Business rifled Buck

Post by rr2241tx »

Congratulations Darryl!

Blackpowder bullets don't get there as fast as you may be used to and there is time for the animal to move a bit after you break the shot. It is amazing how many "broadside" shots are actually quartering shots when trying to find blade sights with buck fever melting your brain.
rr2241tx
Timin' has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

That's what I'm thinking. It either moved at the break of the shot, or it was already turned slightly when I committed to pressing the trigger.
It's hard to imagine a 525 grain slug veering off course on such a light framed animal. On African game, I can imagine how it could happen.
But these deer in Texas are thin skinned, light framed animals.

The momentum and sectional density of that bullet makes it hard to believe they could deflect and on such a soft target. I certainly stand to be incorrect though.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Well done.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Thanks Don.
I'm starting to have a much higher respect for the .45. I must admit that I've had a bias towards my .50/70 which launches a 532 grain bullet with a .350" meplat. I dropped a lot of animals with it and I guess I've developed an unjustifiable prejudice towards the .50 caliber slug. I think we tend to gravitate towards what has worked well for us in the past.

However, as I've spent more time in the field with this business rifle and shot game with it I'm seeing that there really isn't a truly measurable difference as far as incapacitation is concerned. As always, shot placement is king, and the .45 is more than adequate a slug. More importantly, the sectional density on this particular 525 grain slug is a .358 compared to .292 on my 532 grain .50 cal bullet.

This buck, and two hogs to date have dropped in their tracks from this rifle. Other multiple hogs and deer have not made it past 100 yards on thorax shots (most within 50 yards).

Either way, I enjoy both the .45/70 and the .50/70. People I hunt with just don't understand our addiction with these rifles, cast bullets, and black powder. It just cannot be explained in full.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

:mrgreen: Now you need to get a 44 :)
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
shovel80

Post by shovel80 »

Very Nice Buck!! :)

Terry
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm green with envy, nice job lad! MD
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Great job!

I have and still need my 45-70 business rifle. Mine took 5 Wyoming antelope in 2 days this year. One shot was similar to yours that I could not explain. The shot was broadside and entered low and barely behind the left shoulder and exited through the middle of the right rear quarter? :shock: Bullet was soft lead PP round nose...
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Darryl,

Good job, he will make some great smoked sausage!

I would not worry too much about the bullets path in this instance. The spot of entry looks to be just in the front of the front leg bone. A deviation in the bullets path seems perfectly normal to me. As long as that bullet did not fragment to a large degree, I would be very happy with the results. These rifles and calibers have been putting meat on the table for generation's, you have just seen again, what a good job they do on game. I am using the Lyman 457122 this year, I am looking forward to an opportunity to see it's effectiveness first hand.

I thought I wanted a #3 with a 26-28" std weight barrel for a hunting rifle. Your pictures are making me rethink this thought, a Business Rifle seems like a good fit for my needs.

Best, David B
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

The business rifle is Peach.

In my opinion, it's the perfect field rifle. (I didn't originate that opinion by the way).
It was sound advice given by a hunter that has demonstrated some serious time in the fields with these types of rifles.

That tapered 28" round barrel balances so well.
Shoulder one with a steel shotgun butt, and you see.

Treat yourself to on in 45/70.
You'll love it.
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations on the buck. A few years ago I shot an antelope as he was facing straight at me from 50 yds. with my rollingblock 45-70 When I got up to him he was shot high and from side to side and not from the front as I was expecting. I was videoing with the camera on a tripod next to me. When I looked at the footage what had happened was just as I shot he ducked down and was spinning around to leave and was broadside. If not for the video I wouldn't have known what happened. So you're probably right in that he moved as you shot.
Oh by the way my Shiloh Hartford with standard weight 30" half octagon barrel is a nice hunting rifle too.