12/11 Hog Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

mdeland

Re: 12/11 Hog Hunt

Post by mdeland »

Good story KL. Been to Drummond Island one time in the late 50s and it was good fishing for us. MD
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

My Congratulation for your success and thx for sharing the nice Pics
what sights have you got on your Roller ?

regards KLaus
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Klaus

The front is a penny, rear is a MVA Rough n Ready.

Best,barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
gws

Post by gws »

David, very nice hawg! Having raised and butchered many hogs in the past I understand where the heart and lungs are and they aren't where most think they are. There is a really good tutorial on hog anatomy at http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html the heart and lungs are low in the chest unlike deer or other critters. I don't hunt much anymore, I celebrate with those that do but too many people I know are in it for the kill and I was brought up with the directive that you kill it you eat it. Included in that directive was one shot for a rifle and two barrels for a shotgun and never take a shot you can't make. I have taken lots of Texas deer, which are only slightly bigger than a german shepard, and all but one have been head shots. While I understand the reluctance to do so where I did the majority of my shots were well under 75 yards. Not withstanding the aforementioned body shot (which did go directly through the heart) the shots were made with a 222 and I have never wounded or lost a deer. When I first went to hunt the land owner explained that the only acceptable shots were behind the ear or between the eyes. If you brought in a deer shot in the body you were asked to leave. Now I would not do this to mule deer, elk, moose or even some of the larger exotics that roam central Texas but even today I would not hesitate to engage whitetail with my 222 and a head shot. One of these days were need to hunt hogs together, I have a killer recipe for jalapeno sausage!

Good hunting

George
TSRA - Life, NRA -Benefactor
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, that is true of Hogs George and I had forgotten it . I have a close friend that got his degree from Texas A&M and he has shot many Ferrel hogs for the biological program there and did most of it with a 6MM Rem and a 105 grain Nosler. He said it would kill them very quickly when hit through the heart and lungs. MD
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

deerhuntsheatmeup wrote:Klaus

The front is a penny, rear is a MVA Rough n Ready.

Best,barvid
Hello David,

thx for your reply.
it seems that you are the right person for my question on Shooter to Shooter.

Maybe you will be so kind and give me some advise from your exprerience

regards
Klaus
Free_Stater

Post by Free_Stater »

My one hog shooting experience involved a 16-gauge slug that hit the hog square in the forehead from no more than five yards. He shook his head and ran off. Me, I was wondering if I had any clean underwear handy, because I sure needed it. I put a load of buckshot into him broadside a little later, with about as much effect as the slug. I didn't get another shot, and my uncle brought him down on the third try. In the woods around here we don't have too much problem with hogs, but I'll carry something more substantial than a shotgun, with a 1911 as a backup.
When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.