12/11 Hog Hunt

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Woody

Re: 12/11 Hog Hunt

Post by Woody »

When you "brain" something, you produce "flacid paralysis". Death is usually instant. Several years ago, I shot an Antelope with a my Colt Model 1861 Special. Distance was, (as I recall), 133 yards. The load was 60 grains 2 FG Swiss, behind a 515 grain RCBS Mini. I didn't hear the bullet strike, and I didn't see any reaction by the buck. I thought I had missed. The "Speed Goat" covered about 600 yards before it realized it was dead. They don't have a rep for being tough. That same year, I shot an Bull Elk with the same load and rifle. The distance was about 25 feet. The bull dropped so fast it just disappeared. That round penatrated the left shoulder, nicked the spine and was found under the skin of the off shoulder. Nicking the spine, caused paralysis, but I had to finish the elk.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Woody , I've killed ten moose and not one of them was dead on the spot , eight of them with a .338 Mag.
The .338 always did through and through's on side shots. They all went down not to get back up but I had to brain them to finish the job. MD
Woody

Post by Woody »

MD,

The brain is not a shot I choose until the animal is stopped. My last Colorado Elk, took a .50 cal "Buffalo" bullet at about 35 yards. He got real sick, but didn't go down. I reloaded and "brained" him from about the same distance. I do miss the Colorado hunting now that I'm living in Indiana. Whitetail is just not the same.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Woody,

I agree a brain shot is disrespectful of the game we are hunting. I have seen deer killed that were previously wounded but not killed, including having their jaw shot off, not a pretty sight. I can't for the life of me understand why a person would take a chance on crippling an animal to where it would starve to death, in leiu of a good high percentage "boiler room" shot. Of course if that's is the only shot you got, I guess I can sorta understand. However, to head shoot game just for bragging rights is nothing but stroking one's own ego.

Best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'm sorry fellas, I was misleading without intending to be. All my moose were initially shot and knocked down through the chest and were brained to finish them off. I totally agree about head shooting but that is the only way Eskimo or Indian hunters here can reliably kill the big bears with their seal rifles often of .22 centerfire caliber. MD
Woody

Post by Woody »

MD,

I understood you. I didn't think you were head shooting with a first shot. The heart/lungs is always my choice for the first shot, or I don't shoot. Most of the time the animal didn't even know that I was in the woods, until it was too late. Now for finishing, that's when the brain shot on a close stationary target is called for.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
deerhuntsheatmeup

Post by deerhuntsheatmeup »

Mike, I understood you as well, I was just letting my feelings be known as I have received several PM's telling me to brain 'em on my next hunt. I have chosen not to reply to these PM's and let my feeling be known here.

best, Barvid
General Rustie
Oiling Director
FES Society
It's hard to have a bright light experience, when you are living in the light.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Ok, I thought I had mislead you upon reading your replies. I remember one time on one of these bulls that I actually missed the brain shot with my scoped rifle trying to line up between the eyes at about 10 feet away looking over the barrel instead of through the glass, about an inch high, right between the antlers ! That certainly was embarrassing but very funny as well. :lol:
Having been here for 40 season and hunting at least 20 of them I would not be called a particularly successful moose hunter by any stretch of the imagination. :D MD
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

Every hunt is a success. I've gone through several stages of hunting enjoyment.

1. Gun + any legal game = successfull hunt.

2. Gun + BIG Antlers/Horns = successfull hunt.

3. Gun + Being outdoors, (game optional) = successfull hunt.

4. Gun + Being outdoors + sharing the day with a brother or friend, (game optional) = successful hunt.

I'm wondering what the next level is to be.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Some gun/hunting nuts I know went to camera and being outdoors.
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Yeah, I 'm getting so I hate to shoot them but still love to eat them and haven't figure out how to do one without the other. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I love to get out on the river in my raft in the fall though and think next year I'm going to take a bird identification book and try to get some more on camera. I really like the various birds I often see up here. MD
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Woody, just going for a walk in the woods with a gun under your arm. I surely miss the squirrel woods I used to spend each fall in.
Squirrel hunting is one of the finest of sports in my estimation.
Woody

Post by Woody »

Mike,

I'm starting to think along the same lines. If I can't pick it up and put it in a pouch, I'm getting less inclined to shoot it. This fall, one of the days that my brother and I went bird hunting, the birds didn't cooperate. Who cares. It was still a great day in the field with my brother.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
KL

Post by KL »

My old man was a fabulous hunter and every time he went out he got what he was after, heart shots each time. The first time I went hunting he got us up well before dawn and we were out in the woods when it was still dark. Naturally, I fell asleep sitting against a large tree. After it was light and I woke up, I starting looking around slowly turning my head from my sitting position. The woods were dead quiet. In front of me was a small rolling hill, the top of which was lower than where I was. After a while there was a huge crashing sound and that of leaves being crushed coming straight toward me and I was sure the largest deer on the planet was about to stomp me into jello. I could not see it due to the rise of the small hill but I knew it was almost right on top of me. I aimed just above the hill where the noise originated and I was going to blast the hell out of that deer. Then the noise stopped. I listened closely but there was no sound for the next minute or so. It started up again and this time I was sure no matter what happened I could not miss because the noise was so loud, getting louder, and clearly heading straight toward me.

A minute later a small squirrel maybe four inches long with a tail twice as long as he was came bounding over the top of the hill. But I was half right---he ran straight at me. A noisy little guy he was, too. When he noticed me he stopped and looked up at me, looked from side to side, and very quietly walked away. I never did see any deer that I could take a shot at that season. That was on Drummond Island.