40-65 for hunting

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dryfly

Re: 40-65 for hunting

Post by dryfly »

Recently was involved in taking of three Bison with 40-65. Worked fine, 60 grs. of 3F Goex. Buffalo arms 400 gr flat nose, 30-1. Two shots per Bison, heart shots. Complete pass throughs. Broke leg almost off on one coming out. Lots of good Bison meat, no problems.
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I use mine for desert jacks , 400 gn pp bullet and I always get clean pass through good bunny round,
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

powderburner wrote:I use mine for desert jacks , 400 gn pp bullet and I always get clean pass through good bunny round,

DESERT JACKS HAHAHAHAHA!
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

smoke eater wrote:Thanks Dryfly. Im surprised no one else uses this cartridge for deer hunting. Im looking to go with this caliber in a lighter rifle than my #1 Sporter was. I think it might be the ticket for plenty of power for deer and reduced recoil in a lighter weight rifle for range work.
Smoke eater I'm going to order a 40/50 BN in a couple months for my boys to hunt antelope and deer! It will be a perfect hunting rifle for them out to 100 yards! I don't think the 40/65 would have any problem killing deer! Happy New Year and good luck!

Stephen