Rncks serving elk fer supper

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Darryl

Re: Rncks serving elk fer supper

Post by Darryl »

Nice Bull there Bill.
Nice looking shooting-stick too.

People either have a business rifle, or they need one.
(Remember the old Good Year Eagle GT tire commercial? That slogan is perfect for the business rifle as it applies to hunting)
hermit

Post by hermit »

Bad Bill wrote:Very nice elk. Hope the guy that got it gets fed. Looks pretty skinny and famished from chasing that elk, I guess. And, where do you shoot elk where there's so many big oak leaves? There once were elk in Oklahoma but that time is done gone.
Your right it does look pretty skinny..I wonder if it has that CWD like deer get out in that area

But still he got an Elk and you can't fault that none..We have elk here in PA now...

Good job and glad to see you did it with a paper patch bullets as well....Only thing
I get around here is the dang squirrels..If you aint never tried barking squirrles your missing out on a lot of fun....
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

mdeland wrote:Bill, I have read Elk were rather common even East of the Mississippi in colonial times. They used to be a plains animal in the Lewis and Clark era. I also remember reading , how ever accurate the information I can't say , that there were some buffalo East of the Mississippi as well.
And a tid-bit that really surprised me was that buffalo were indigenous to Alaska as well at one time. The ones we have now were transplants from Canada.
Elk have been also transplanted on Afognak Island and are doing well. I think this would be a fun hunt to make. I have two friends that go every year and they always get elk because they know where they hang out. MD

From what I have read about elk hunting on Afognak, it sounds like one of those affairs where you will want to know where the elk are, and where some of the biggest brown bears on the face of the earth aren't!
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey