It was a good hunt!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

RMulhern

It was a good hunt!

Post by RMulhern »

Got this Ole Tom first day of the hunt near Medicine Lodge, Kansas. Pulled him in with the call and when he walked up at 22 yards and gobbled....it was his last! Their beautiful multi-coloring has always amazed me!

RMgobbler by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
fatbelly

Re: It was a good hunt!

Post by fatbelly »

Great picture Rick :D

Bet that tom tasted wonderful 8)
I had a dream ... but I forgot what it was about!
RMulhern

Post by RMulhern »

fatbelly wrote:Great picture Rick :D

Bet that tom tasted wonderful 8)
Not yet....but he will when I fry him up!! :D Got another the second day out! My son got a nice one also as well as Big Dave from Missouri! Dave got a gobbler 5 days before this hunt near where he lives in Missouri that weighed in at 27#!!
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

We had turkey at Easter, one of those farm bred gobblers, and it was OK but I bet nowhere near as good as a wildun! :(
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Rick, Ben Franklyn was reported to have said he thought the Wild Turkey should have been our national bird and not the glorified buzzard of the Bald Eagle. :lol:
Ring Neck Pheasant is about the only thing I can think of that is as gorgeous as those turkeys. Wish we had both to hunt up here. MD
fatbelly

Post by fatbelly »

We have ring necked pheasants, which are bred for purpose, but the only turkeys we see are hanging up in the butchers window or on a supermarket shelf :? Shooting 'em in either place might be frowned upon! :(
Bill Quantrill

Post by Bill Quantrill »

Very Nice!

Rmulhern, I figured you as a Benelli shotgun type.

Bill Quantrill
"I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet."
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Good look'n bird.
What was it's weight?
I have not seen many that size.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

My son-in-law and I went and looked at shot guns for him last night at the Sportsmans Warehouse. He did some research on the Benelli's , Brownings and perhaps one or two more. Finally decide on the new Browning with the 3.5 inch chamber but the gun will shoot 2.75, 3 or 3.5 inch with equal aplomb.
Pretty cool new feature of gas operation up front in the forearm so no gas gets back to the action to gum things up with fouling.
I don't usually care for autos or Browning but this bugger looks like a water fowl killing machine. He decided he liked it better than the Benelli after handling both at the store.
Were going to try for some Sand Hill Cranes this year and it may come in handy for those buggers nearing the size of a Turkey and usually very high.
I'll happily stick with my old parts gun Model 12 Winchester with a Polly choke soldered on the end. MD
ironramrod

Post by ironramrod »

MD, Having shot a lot of sandhill cranes and big Canada geese here, I think you might be lot happier w/ the results from a 10 ga. :D

Regards
"So many liberals, and so little time to teach them how to balance a checkbook." (Unknown)
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'll give it a go and keep your advice in mind as I have no experience with Sand Hills or 10 gauges.