Anybody draw a tag they been waiting years for?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rdnck

Re: Anybody draw a tag they been waiting years for?

Post by rdnck »

Very nice antelope, Pete. You and your son will always remember it. That 58 caliber round ball Hawken is the Real Deal. Congratulations on doing it right. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
pete

Post by pete »

Congratulations Pete he is a nice heavy horned buck for sure. Congratulations to your son for his antelope too. The bottom photo shows the mass off pretty well. Getting any antelope with a muzzleloader and especially a nice one is a real accomplishment. I wasn't sure if a 58 was big enough but I guess it will work. :lol:
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

rdnck wrote:Very nice antelope, Pete. You and your son will always remember it. That 58 caliber round ball Hawken is the Real Deal. Congratulations on doing it right. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Thanks for the compliment. I could never do the inline thing. I have been studying some of your posts for loads for the 45-70 and have a bunch to try out. By the way, I used KIK powder on that antelope. I got a little better groups with GOEX 2F but the KIK 2F gave me about 2 1/2"-3" 5 shot groups at 75 yds. (no wiping) with the round ball and I figured that was good enough. Main thing is it was easier to load for followup shots once the ball was started than the GOEX was. I think the fouling was softer. I used a tight .018 patch and .570 ball.
Pete
Hartford Pete

Post by Hartford Pete »

pete wrote:Congratulations Pete he is a nice heavy horned buck for sure. Congratulations to your son for his antelope too. The bottom photo shows the mass off pretty well. Getting any antelope with a muzzleloader and especially a nice one is a real accomplishment. I wasn't sure if a 58 was big enough but I guess it will work. :lol:
Thanks Pete. I guess it was just barely big enough because it took two shots!