Anybody draw a tag they been waiting years for?

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bobw

Anybody draw a tag they been waiting years for?

Post by bobw »

Just curious if anyine scored a hard to get tag? bobw
bobw
Denali

Re: Anybody draw a tag they been waiting years for?

Post by Denali »

Bobw,

I almost put in for Wyoming moose this year with 11-12 points but decided to wait another year or two. Same thing with 6 antelope points. Spent this years non-resident hunting funds on a motorcycle (that's what I told my wife). I guess I will continue to buy more points until my schedule supports the hunts. That is what I like about Wyoming. Just finished putting in for everything in Washington, but I know it is like winning the lottery for moose, sheep, and goat.

Mike
bobw

Post by bobw »

Denali its a whole lot better odds than winning a lottery though. Non Residents have a better chance a drawing a sheep and moose tag than do residents. Sounds like BS huh, but the fact is its true for the most part. Not that many non res tags but no where near the applicants for them, the price weeds most out in a hurry. A good friend of mine applied year after year for these ,almost 20 years ea. It wasn't unti he moved to SD and kept applying as a non resident that he drew both 1 year apart. bobw
bobw
Denali

Post by Denali »

Bobw,

You are probably right. I checked the non-res moose preference point draw for Wyoming and 12 points were good enough for many units with 100% success. Putting in for Wyoming critters with the points system is like getting on a list and whoever has the most points automatically draws (for 75%) of the tags. The other 25% is a normal lottery. In Washington for residents, one only gets their name in the hat once for each point (moose, sheep) and most applicant have many points so my odds are 1 in a thousand or so.

Mike
pete

Post by pete »

I might answer in a year or more. I've got 4 points for deer and 18 for elk. Not sure what I'm gonna do with the elk. It might be too sad to burn that many up. :?
bobw

Post by bobw »

After 10 years of applying I drew my Prairie Elk tag in the Bennett co unit. Tag is good for ANY ELK from 10/20/12 to 12/31/12 Sounds like a snap but IT isn't,there are no elk in the unit until the weather gets rough on the Rosebud Res. then the elk move to private and some public access in Bennett co.. bobw
bobw
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Good deal Bob! What is your weapon of choice on this hunt?

Stephen
bobw

Post by bobw »

Don't know yet my 2 7/8 can do it, but it is wide open country down there. There is very little public access and that is the key I have a buddy down there making some contacts on my behalf. It took 10 years a trying just to draw,I will not load any more odds against success.Just the way it is , I knew that going to the deal but it was one of the few opportunities for an elk hunt near home left to me. bobw
bobw
ole pizen slinger

Post by ole pizen slinger »

Hey Bob. Good luck. I'll be rootin' for ya! Come back with some good stories.
OPS
Barry C Jolly

"I envy no man that knows more than myself and pity them that know less:" Sir T. Brown

"Everyone must sacrifice at the altar of stupidity from time to time" A. Einstein
pete

Post by pete »

Good luck for the elk Bob. By the latest figures it takes 20 points (years) to get the license I want and like I said I've got 18 now. I'll either use my Shiloh Hartford or Lonestar rb.
SIXSHOOTER

Post by SIXSHOOTER »

My son, son-in-law and I hunt together. We always put in but seldom draw deer. This year we drew Idaho unit 55. This is a pretty special draw for me as it is an area I use to always hunt. Idaho does not have preference points so its the same chance every year. We are all pretty use to punching in the number and getting a computer SORRY YOU DID NOT DRAW. What a suprise to see Congratulations, you were sucessful.
DK
Denali

Post by Denali »

Way to go bobw and sixshooter! Bobw, I finally drew my first cow elk tag (WA) this year, but it's a muzzleloader tag.
It's going to be a good fall season. Good luck to both of you!

Mike
madisonvalleywapiti

Post by madisonvalleywapiti »

I drew a Mountain goat tag for the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness north of Yellowstone.
Brent

Post by Brent »

madisonvalleywapiti wrote:I drew a Mountain goat tag for the Absaroka Beartooth wilderness north of Yellowstone.
VERY VERY lucky dog... Have fun and good luck. Take a Sharps :)
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats on the goat license. I have a friend that after many years of trying drew a goat license here in Colorado maybe 3 years ago. He was going fishing in Alaska so he turned the goat tag back in............needless to say he hasn't been successful since. :? :roll: