Good news again!

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Stephen Borud

Good news again!

Post by Stephen Borud »

I drew a Type 1 elk tag, antelope doe tag and a General deer tag! I will buy a left over antelope doe tag in July when there available! Looking forward to the hunt!

Stephen Borud
Brent

Re: Good news again!

Post by Brent »

Congrats. I struck out :(
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Bummer Brent! The antelope, deer and elk should of faired well this winter since we really didn't have one! I'm worried about the lack of rain where I elk hunt! In the past years when it was dry the elk for the most part moved to another section of land I can't hunt! A scouting trip in August will tell the story!

Stephen
Brent

Post by Brent »

Win some, lose some. Now I have to think about what I'm going to do this fall. Other things are suddenly possible, though I'd rather hunt.

good luck on the elk. I have a couple of preference points for them when I want to put in again.
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Thank Brent!

Stephen
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That's the thing I've disliked the most about the elk license system they have now. If for some reason you can't make it to the area you drew for you're just SOL. Where it used to be you had your general license and could go most anywhere when time permitted.
Anyway there's what's going to be a branch antlered bull and 4 spikes out grazing in what little alfalfa there is in the field every evening.Hopefully they'll stick around till season opens this year and not deedey out of here a few days before the opener like they've done the last couple of years.
Few deer but not seeing much for antlers...
Got some whopper buck antelope so that should be fun come the first of October.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
pete

Post by pete »

Congrats. Stephen, sounds like you've got a busy fall ahead. We saw quite a few antelope last friday morning when we left Casper going north. There was even a dead elk in the median about 15 miles or so north of town. We stopped into the Quigley friday afternoon on our way to Bismarck/Ft. Abraham Lincoln.

Brent;
Can't you get a leftover antelope license?

I got a doe antelope license. If there's a leftover muzzleloading deer license I might get one of those. Not sure if I'm in the mood for that or not yet.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Good luck Don I hope those tasty elk stick around for you until the season opener!

Thanks Pete I'm really looking forward to hunting this fall! I'm going to take my 8 yr old son with me for a few days! He is going to freak when we call some elk in close! I told him he can carry is flat bow, that got him excited! I'm reserving my antelope tag for my 5 yr old son Hunter! You were in Casper and didnt call???? Shame on YOU! :lol:

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

Stephen;
I thought about you but I know how you patched shooters feel about us grooved ball shooters. :lol: It was late (about 10:00 p.m.) when we got in and we left pretty early. It's real dry there just like here. There was an antelope fawn lying down about 75 yds north of the house a couple of days ago. Momma was out in the pasture keeping an eye out. Sure are little cuties.
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

pete wrote:Stephen;
I thought about you but I know how you patched shooters feel about us grooved ball shooters. :lol: It was late (about 10:00 p.m.) when we got in and we left pretty early. It's real dry there just like here. There was an antelope fawn lying down about 75 yds north of the house a couple of days ago. Momma was out in the pasture keeping an eye out. Sure are little cuties.
Ya Pete were kinda stuck up! :lol: Next time if it's earlier get a hold of me I will buy you and your wife lunch! Maybe we can fondle some guns too!

Stephen
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Stephen,

Good going on the draw and good luck trying to choose which rifle to take!

I was lucky enough to draw a cow moose but didn't draw a doe antelope. Down here in CO I also drew a cow elk winter grain field tag. I'll be looking at leftover tags up your way next month.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathonman wrote:Stephen,

Good going on the draw and good luck trying to choose which rifle to take!

I was lucky enough to draw a cow moose but didn't draw a doe antelope. Down here in CO I also drew a cow elk winter grain field tag. I'll be looking at leftover tags up your way next month.
Thanks, I will be looking at getting a cow elk tag and another antelope tag as well! My wife's sister is getting into organic wyoming raised animals! I think she would appreciate some elk and antelope! Good luck to you!!!

Stephen
pete

Post by pete »

That sounds great Stephen, will do. We were through and stayed a couple of years ago when we went up and back to pick up my Hartford and went to that big bar and grill on the east side of I25. A pretty loud place.

BTW, I was going to try paper patch for hunting this year but my pure lead pot must be going out and won't get hotter than 770 deg. and I can't get good bullets with the patched mold. The grooved mould barely get's it. The last time I tried them I got paper rings on the case mouth but the bullets were in the case .250 and I thought I'd try again with them at .200 and see what happens but I don't want to buy another pot right now just to find out there's no difference with the rings. Oh well maybe next year.
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

Wyoming leftover antelope tags went on sale this morning at 8:00. I logged on my computer a few minutes early and was done and paid for by 8:03. Pays to know what you want in advance that's for sure. Anyway, picked up 4 doe tags for moose practice in October. Antelope doe is some of the best eating out there!
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Marathonman wrote:Wyoming leftover antelope tags went on sale this morning at 8:00. I logged on my computer a few minutes early and was done and paid for by 8:03. Pays to know what you want in advance that's for sure. Anyway, picked up 4 doe tags for moose practice in October. Antelope doe is some of the best eating out there!

Great news for you and your Sharps! I need to get a couple extra myself!

Stephen