Exit Wounds

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Klaus

Exit Wounds

Post by Klaus »

Hi all,

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... /5951921/1

when browsing the Internet I found this report quite ugly but impressive partial images of exit wounds caused by high power ammunition from rifles. The thought of the meat supply, I wonder what the hunters want to eat the animals or even skin which would have adorned a wall?
Not to mention the Animal Rights so far they exist .The question arises what justified the use of these High Speed Ammunitions and to what benefit they bring?
I explored here nothing which could support the use of modern hunting Stuff opposite to our favorite Black Powder and Lead Bullets .I have not seen this kind of injury here in the forum on the set pictures.

What do you think?

Klaus
Stephen Borud

Re: Exit Wounds

Post by Stephen Borud »

Klaus I hunt for meat that my family enjoys eating! I guess dead is dead but holy smokes this is overkill! I'm guilty of shooting the shit out of small animals when I was in High School but I grew out of that phase! I have more respect for animals now that I'm older and will teach my four sons to appreciate the harvest and the food it provides them!

Stephen Borud

Sharps And Longbow Hunter
pete

Post by pete »

Klaus;
I'm with Stephen on this, show some respect. As a country kid I too shot and more or less destroyed alot of stuff and thought it cool but now I wish I hadn't. Stuff happens but the way these guys are acting is sad. They need to realize that a man is not judged by the size of the exit wound he makes. :roll:
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

pete wrote:Klaus;
I'm with Stephen on this, show some respect. As a country kid I too shot and more or less destroyed alot of stuff and thought it cool but now I wish I hadn't. Stuff happens but the way these guys are acting is sad. They need to realize that a man is not judged by the size of the exit wound he makes. :roll:
Pete, shinin jackrabbits on wheat fields comes to mind. Prairie dogs another. We all did it wholesale and didn't make a dent in their populations. Having a load that produces a nice pink mist comes to mind. Maybe it was more gross than a .22 lr hollow point to some but dead is dead and I figure the coyotes/foxs appreciated having their meat cut up in bite sizes anyway. But they were destructive pests and in our minds it didn't matter. That said I haven't shot a pasture poodle or jackrabbit in 40+ years....probably won't ever again.

When it comes to purposely blowing holes the size of saucers and worse on, e.g., deer is just going too far, its messy and sometimes wasteful, and certainly does not reflect on our sport in a very positive manner.
Sam
pete

Post by pete »

Yellowhouse;
I understand what you're saying. I do try and reduce the praire dogs on our place from time to time and with my .243 it's pretty messy but I wouldn't put photos up so guys could get a kick out of it. No more jackrabbits for me either.
I appreciate a well done hunting photo as much as the next guy but those are junk.
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

Klaus:

WAIDMANNSHEIL!

The advantage of a high velocity projectile is that is shoots "flatter." More precisely, higher veolcity allows a projectile of smaller mass to carry a larger amount of energy downrange. The shooter doesn't have to compensate as much for bullet drop. So it's somewhat a matter of laziness and / or carelessness. Easier, faster, no need to worry as much pesky about detils like range and wind drift. Right in line with modern thinking, isn't it?

A big lead bullet, pushed to a leisurely pace by a blackpowder load, will kill an animal just as dead as the fastest uber-magnum. With less meat damage, too. But the shooter has to do his part. He must know the trajectory of his bullet and know the range to the target. That takes some degree of skill and effort.

I am not so concerned about the anti-hunters. Those nutcases are opposed to hunting in any form and for any reason. They will object no matter how cleanly the animal is killed.
mt-tom

Post by mt-tom »

I looked at the first few photos and found them distasteful and lacking in respect for the game. Just not my cup of tea. In well over three decades of taking game, I have seen and even been responsible for a few shots on game I wish had never happened. I just don't like seeing or being a part of that.

Tom
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Parts,

thx for your answers and comments to my thread.

it says a lot positives about you as responsibile and experienced Hunters.

Klaus :)

p.s. Stephen, what kind of Longbow do you use for Hunting ?
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Klaus wrote:Hi Parts,

thx for your answers and comments to my thread.

it says a lot positives about you as responsibile and experienced Hunters.

Klaus :)

p.s. Stephen, what kind of Longbow do you use for Hunting ?
Klaus I have 6 longbows, there a weakness for me! This year I am going to use a Coastal Bend Bow! It's 56" long and 53@26! It has monster reflex deflex on the limbs! It's a shooter Klaus! )))------->

Stephen
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Morning Stephen

sounds real good

3 D with traditional Bows is my second favorite Hobby.
I have Osage selfbow made by my own and a Longbow from 7 Lakes Longbows # 46 by 66
shoots very well for me.
Bow Hunting is not allowed un Germany so i go for 3 D
Klaus
madisonvalleywapiti

Post by madisonvalleywapiti »

That thread is pretty distasteful if you ask me, like seeing who can take the biggest dump and prove it with a picture.
Up In Smoke

Post by Up In Smoke »

Websites that post such classless pictures are the very definition of "Redneck entertainment!"
"There are no great men. Just great challenges which ordinary men, out of necessity, are forced by circumstances to meet."
Admiral William F. “Bull” Halsey
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

Klaus wrote:Morning Stephen

Bow Hunting is not allowed un Germany so i go for 3 D
Klaus
I just now caught that! What is the reason you think its not allowed?
Sam
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Yellowhouse,

i think about this that the German Hunter Society and the Law has got a bit different presentation about a real hunt on Animals like some other Countrys in the World.
we do not hunt with Black Powder and / or Bows it not Waidgerecht ( expertly) a given welcome comment is " we do not live in the stoneage"
A small group of Hunters here are trying to force the Hunt with Muzzeladers but they were handicapped extremley from the Goverment and the Hunters Society themselfe.
The same for a Hunt with BPCR.

it`s a bit hard to explain it with only a few sets

Klaus
Yellowhouse

Post by Yellowhouse »

What I gather is that the government believes that the majority of hunters are just too inept and untrained to use that type of weaponry to kill the "kings deer"! Am I pretty close? That is what a lot of anti-hunting organizations harp on here.
Sam