Boo hunting in AK

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

SIXSHOOTER

Re: Boo hunting in AK

Post by SIXSHOOTER »

mdeland,

Those little birds are called water ozels. They are fun to watch.
DK
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

That's the name I was looking for DK, I couldn't remember it for beans, thanks. Mike
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Hope you fill your meat locker Jim. Post some pictures of your hunt wither successful or not. Love to see the area. MD
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

OK, will not be back until 25 Sept. Hope the weather moderates some, has been kind of windy out west. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
jdb3

Post by jdb3 »

Just got back from Southwest Alaska and the moose hunt. Boy was it wet, thought I was back in Southeast Alaska. We took two moose, one with a 72 inch spread and the second was a mulligan bull (38 inches). I had an opportunity to take a spike/fork but we were still packing meat, it was 7:00pm and about to start pouring again. I decided not to take the shot. We came home with 1200 lbs of meat so I really didn't need to shoot. Will post pictures when I get them. Jim
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" Benjamin Franklin.
Lazer

Post by Lazer »

Mdeland:

The birds that walk under water are water ouzels, sometimes called dippers. But here's my question: What is a deer falcon? I recollect peregrines and gyrfalcons in the Forty-mile.

L

OK, I think I just figured it out and added this as an "edit". Deer falcon = gyrfalcon (pronounced "geer")
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Thanks Lazer, I learned something as well, I'm sure your right on the "geer" pronunciation. I have always herd them call "Deer" Falcons though and sure it's the same raptor. We Alaskan sourdoughs are want to bastardize terms on occasion. You know "probly" instead of probably and "Crick" in place of Creek. :lol: