Hard work for huckleberry pie

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Denali

Hard work for huckleberry pie

Post by Denali »

As a child, my grandma always told me that bear lard makes the best pie crust. I didn't really think too much about it at the time, but as im growing older I decided I want to give it a try. Ive shot several bears in the past and never tried using the lard for cooking. So this year I decided to go after another bear in a spot I first hunted 29 years ago near the Idaho/Canadian boarder of Washington. My goal was to do a solo backpack hunt with my Shiloh 45-110 saddle rifle. I also wanted to test out my brand new Eberlistock J34 pack to see how well it can pack in camp and pack out bear+camp. Finally, I just had to try bear lard huckleberry pie!

It was last Tuesday that I drove 5 hours from my home to where I would park and start hiking. When I got there in the early afternoon under warm, wind free, sunny skys I was a little annoyed at all the vehicles I drove past. It was archery deer hunters I was guessing mostly and perhaps some huckleberry pickers. The huckleberry crop seemed to be the best that I could remember, not being a regular to this place. I packed a gallon of water with me knowing I would find little or none. I hiked up a mountain and along a ridgeline mostly at timberline and the berries were everywhere. I set up camp about 3 1/2 miles in. Then I hiked the last bit with my gun to an overlook where I shot my first bear 22 years ago. It was a beautiful setting! And I saw no one at all on my way in, so I had the place all to myself!

I think the near full moon played a part in why I did not see any deer or bear that evening. I wasn't too disappointed though since the idea of packing a bear out of a hole in the dark didn't excite me that much.
The following morning I awoke about 45 minutes before sunrise and scrambled out of my tent. I quickly ate some granola bars and hiked a short distance to my overlook and immediately spotted 3 bears in my binoculars. The closest one was over a half mile around the basin on the opposite side and the two others were even further. None were below me in the bowl where I took a stand. I quickly memorized the big dead tree to the left of the bear and started hiking around the basin staying as high as possible and out of sight. When I got around the sun had just illuminated the area where the bear was and I could not locate it. I went beyond that bear to the other two I saw and they were also gone. It seems that they head for cover as soon as the sun comes out. I decided to hike over the next ridge after that and get to where I could find some more slopes that the sun hadn't got to yet. I was about 1 1/2 miles beyond my camp when I spotted 3 more bears. One of the bears (closest one) was slowly working its way down into the timber maybe 10 minutes ahead of the sunshine. I quickly started getting closer and I could only get glimpses of it through the trees in my rangefinder. I kept fiddling with my sight settings as I got closer and finally just set it for 100 yards since I eventually lost sight of it. Then I just still hunted down the timber where I last saw it and then heard a scratching sound so I froze. A few seconds later I saw the bear walking towards me at an angle so I quickly aimed through an opening in the dead branches and shot it. The bear (est 175 -200lbs) went about 50 yards and I shot it behind the front shoulder facing me and it came out in front of the back opposite rear leg.

Three grueling hours later I packed that bear (boned out meat) out of a hole 500 feet down the 1 1/2 - 2 miles back to my tent. I was now out of water! I dreaded the idea of attempting to hike all the way back to the truck with the bear and camp and realized I need to put the meat in the shade and hike down 500 feet or so and get another gallon of water. So thats what I did, but it was closer to 1000 ft. That night it rained and was really windy, but morning was quiet and beautiful.

I packed up camp.

Put everything in my pack (it worked pretty well!).

And huffed the last 3 1/2 miles back to the truck. So no bears that day. I brought provisions to make a pie back at the truck but I was hungry and too tired to stay any longer so I picked some huckleberries and took them home with me.

I rendered some of the fat in a little pan.

Made a fresh huckleberry pie (small one)

Put it in a dutch oven.

Cooked it for 1 hour with 7 briquets on the bottom and nine on top

And it came out perfect! The crust was excellent also!!

Hope it was worth reading. The load was a 0.325" meplat 540 grain (20:1) bullet of my own design with 93 gr swiss 1 1/2 fg +.060 wad, homemade lube, br2 primer.

Mike
Bad Bill

Re: Hard work for huckleberry pie

Post by Bad Bill »

Really nice story and adventure hunt and photos. Yummy pie! Thanks much!
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32
bobw

Post by bobw »

Gotta agree with Bill on this one. Great story,great pics,what a hunt ,congrats to you and your efforts . Bear meat can be really good eats as well. Next time leave your tang sight at home :) bobw
bobw
Michael Johnson

Post by Michael Johnson »

What a beautiful setting at that overlook! Cool photos. It really is satisfying to hunt with your sharps. - Mike
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Now THAT will work. Great story and photos. Thanks for sharing. Shoot straight, rdnck.
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

What some people will go through to get a pie, when you can pick one up at a bakery. :lol: :lol:

Good stuff, Mike. :mrgreen: ....................................................Jim
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Stephen Borud

Post by Stephen Borud »

Good stuff Mike! I enjoyed reading it!

Stephen Borud
pete

Post by pete »

Great story and photos. I like the adventure stories where a guy isn't afraid to go solo if need be and use one of these bp cartridge rifles. Congratulations.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Great story and pictures!
Thanks,
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I've shot bears with 300 win, 7-08, and 300 ultra. I felt a higher sense of reward doing it again with my 45-110.

My next one, God willing, will be with barrel sights and a 44-77 PP Shiloh.

Mike
apapro

Post by apapro »

Great story and pics Mike.........really enjoyed it and could almost taste the pie!!
"...........bring me my punkin' chucker.............thats it the 2 1/10 Sharps!!!"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Congratulations on a successful hunt and thanks for posting the sensational pictures. I have been wanting to render some bear fat for oil to try on my muzzle loaders and had also heard it makes the finest pie crust. Loved seeing the great lay out photo spread of your hunt , very cool. Looks like your camp was very minimal just like our sheep camps used to be. Gets that way when one has to carry his whole camp on his back up the hill. :lol:
Ned Roberts said bear oil makes some really good patch lube and will keep a gun from rusting. He also says if rendered correctly it will not congeal in cold weather but I have no personal experience with it yet. MD
WHO CARES

Post by WHO CARES »

Thanks for taking the time to share. I really enjoyed the reading.

ward
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians.
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks again for the comments!

MD,

The bear lard I rendered has a pretty low melting point. I had to put it in the freezer before getting it to set so I could fold it into the flour mixture. The crust had a richer flavor that crisco pie crust. It is definitely better with no hint of "animal" flavor. The lard has a pleasant mild aroma. The aroma isnt imparted into the cooked crust. The liquid lard is pretty clear and turns opaque white when solidified, but not as "solid" white as crisco or coconut oils.

Mike
Bad Bill

Post by Bad Bill »

Thanks for the data on the bear grease and crust - wondered about it. 8)
"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32