Hard work for huckleberry pie

Share your tales (tall or otherwise) of hunting adventures.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Lumpy Grits

Re: Hard work for huckleberry pie

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Got'a ask, what's that '110 weight out at? Is that a 26" bbl?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Denali

Post by Denali »

Gary,

It's a 26" STD heavy contour. I think the gun is about 11 pounds even +\- .25. Im away from home (bow deer hunting) so I can't weigh it now.

Take care.

Mike
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

THX. Mike.
Have a great hunt.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
Darryl

Post by Darryl »

Mike:

Reading that story and looking at the pictures just took me away for a while.

There's nothing like spending some time alone in the field. I think its there that a man can do his best thinking and truly enjoy the greatness of God's creation.

Thanks for sharing,
DR
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks DR

You nailed it.
Gussy

Post by Gussy »

Excellent story and write up!!!! :D :D I don't get that far from home anymore, but I know the feeling :wink:
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Great story & pictures I love reading stories like that. Some of the best times I have had in the woods hiking & camping have been when I was alone.

BTW I have a Hartford 50-90 w/26" heavy barrel that I bought used that was rigged up for hunting elk. I also order a sooooooon!!! to be Hartford w/26" 45-90 heavy half/round barrel with swivels, etc that I plan on using in the forests of New England for deer.
Rob Drummond
Hillsboro, NH
aka "borderdogs"
Denali

Post by Denali »

Thanks Gussy and Rob.

Rob,

It was a toss up when I had to decide what caliber to get in my saddle rifle. I wanted both a 50-90 and 45-110. Eventually went with the 45-110 since I had dies and molds already for the 45-90 shiloh I had. Hope you enjoy the new one you ordered soon. I jumped in on the round barrel production run and have a business rifle coming my way with sling swivels, an extra 1/2" length of pull, and semi-buckhorn sight in a 44-77 PP chamber. I can't wait!!!!!! Hopefully a few more weeks is all. I wish I had a dovetail cut on my 110, as now it is set up with a 130 tang and 1874 quarter up front.

Mike
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Mike,
I have had a lot of experince over some 30 years with the 45-90. From an orignial Sharps rifle, a Shiloh Sharps Hartford, 86 Winchester so it was a natural choice for me. With the added plus that I have all the equipment & dies, etc. The 50-90 was something I wanted to work with and when I had a chance at a good used Shiloh in 50-90 a while back at a great price I couldn't resist. Now after some time working with it I actually find I really like it. The guy I bought the rifle from was a guide in Wyoming and set it up so he could carry it horseback for elk. The 50-90 is a potent load for anything I am likely to run into here in the east but I wouldn't hesitate to take it out in the woods. I have a set of tang & globe sights I could use with this rifle but I have only been using barrel sights right now. The new 45-90 I ordered with barrel sights as well but will probably go for an MVA 134 with a folding Beach type front sight once I finally get the rifle. Hoping to use it this fall.

The 44-77 is interesting and something I was considering but the brass forming issue, dies, & lack of experince with it, put me solidly back to the 45-90.
All the best,
Rob Drummond
Hillsboro, NH
aka "borderdogs"
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

borderdogs ,

If you want a 44-77 ,Jamison will be making brass again in about 60 days , and that is good stuff.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
AzTBH

Post by AzTBH »

Mike

First of all congratulations on a very fine solo hunt experience. I also want to thank you for sharing your experiences with all of us on the forum.

You stated that one of your goals of the hunt was to “... to test out my brand new Eberlestock J34 pack to see how well it can pack in camp and pack out bear & camp”. Your only other comment on the pack was “Put everything in my pack (it worked pretty well!).”

I assume, from the exclamation point, that you were pretty satisfied with the Eberlestock pack. However, do you have any other comments (good or bad) regarding the packs performance? I have been looking at both the Eberlestock and Badlands packs and I very interested in how you rate the quality and usefulness of the Eberlestock product.

Thanks
Ross
Ross McCollum
Peoria, AZ

NRA Life Member
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Dean,
I thought I heard Jamison was out of business.
Rob Drummond
Hillsboro, NH
aka "borderdogs"
AlmostAQuigley

Post by AlmostAQuigley »

borderdogs wrote:Dean,
I thought I heard Jamison was out of business.
Rob Drummond
Hillsboro, NH
Rob:

There was a recent thread on that very topic:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19676

Another company has purchased Jamison's assets and tooling... the brass WILL be back on the market in the near future.

JR
NRA Endowment Member.
Former owner of a Shiloh Hartford model, 34" barrel, patchbox, etc., which Lucinda called "Almost a Quigley," hence the screen name...
Denali

Post by Denali »

Ross,

Glad to hear your looking into a new pack. I too was torn between Eberlistock and Badlands. I was planning on getting the Badlands Ox, but the price on the Eberlistock won me over. I have a Badlands 2200 and for a day pack I think the quality is pretty good but the design (pocket layout) etc is not effective. It can haul a load (meat) fairly well and they did a good job here. My Eberlistock J34 quality is very hig, no problems here. I like the design/layout too. I bought the zip-on camp duffle so I could move my camping gear to the outside and put meat in the main compartment.

I'm 6-4 and I like my load high on my back. This is where the Eberlistock is a problem. The pack has the ability to hold everything (capacity wise) but the weight is low and pulls me backwards causing my shoulders to get tired quickly and neck muscles to be strained. I had about 50-60 pounds of boned out meat/fat and another 35 or so for camp and pack. I had to bend over to put more of the weight on my back and off my shoulders to make it work. I adjusted the pack for max torso length and it still seems a little short for me.

Overall I like the design and quality, and the pack works, but I've better luck hauling loads with a normal internal frame pack with a tall/narrow main compartment.

By the time I reached my truck I had fiddled with adjustments enough to make it manageable and overall felt the pack was "OK".

I think the badlands ox would have carried the load much better but I think the hunting design might be better with the Eberlistock.

Hope this helps

Mike
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Hey buddy,

I just now saw this thread, and the PIE! (Just like you said). I was fishing Westport when you got your bear. Congratulations, Mike! Really great photos.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.